How do you keep your false bottom in place

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxdcmast

Reaction score
I just received my Jaybird false bottom. I was told in another thread that I will want to secure it in my keg/mlt. Its basically just a SS screen with no mounting pieces on it.

I figured the weight of the grain would hold it down but I guess once the water is added the weight is basically cancelled out?

So how do you guys keep your false bottoms in place?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-sankes-full-false-bottom-thanks-jaybird-69860/

The basic idea is that if you drill the right sized hole in the FB, you can use your siphon tube to hold it down. This of course requires a compression fitting on the siphon tube to make it removable.

Another option is to have a few stainless machine screws tack welded to the bottom of the keg that will extend up through the FB. You'd thread a couple nuts onto the top to hold it down.

Mine just sits on the bottom... it never moves. I have not had a problem in 3 years with it. Nothing holds it down, just gravity.

Mine just sits on the bottom... it never moves. I have not had a problem in 3 years with it. Nothing holds it down, just gravity.

See thats what I figured but some said that when stirring the grain it would cause a problem.

I give mine a good firm talking to before adding my strike water.

It never moves, but I dont know if that's because of function or fear..

I give mine a good firm talking to before adding my strike water.
It never moves, but I dont know if that's because of function or fear..

For some reason my equipment does not listen to me, I can drop kick a computer system and make it work, but somehow my MLT just does not respond to my theory of reality. Any tips on making it learn?

Back