How do you keep SWMBO happy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Evan! said:
Post your opinions all day long...but prepared to be ridiculed when you miss the point so bad so as to infer that a tongue-in-cheek acronym equates to true wimpiness. Opinions are welcome, even stupid ones...but you don't get a free pass on being ridiculed for such.

OOh touchy aren't you? What's the matter Evan hit a little to close to home? LOL

abracadabra said:
Could be.... I don't know that's your call not mine.

See, this is a cultural thing. I don't know any guys my age who consider cooking to be an inherently feminine thing. You know any professional chefs? I have a client who just took a new position working in one of the best kitchens in New York. There are few places that are filled with more testosterone than a professional kitchen.

Hell, wasn't it a "woman's job" to make the beer back thousands of years ago, when this all started?

the_bird said:
See, this is a cultural thing. I don't know any guys my age who consider cooking to be an inherently feminine thing. You know any professional chefs? I have a client who just took a new position working in one of the best kitchens in New York. There are few places that are filled with more testosterone than a professional kitchen.

Hell, wasn't it a "woman's job" to make the beer back thousands of years ago, when this all started?

No not at all you missed my point.

"If you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen" is an old expression meaning basically: if you can't take it, don't get involved.

Nothing to do with cooking. The finest chefs I know are all men and none of them are any less manly for it.

Well... I was taking that old expression and making it into a joke (since I do like to cook, in addition to brewing) and your response seemed to indicate....

Blah. Whatever. You ain't gonna hurt my feelings, I'm plenty secure in my masculinity.

the_bird said:
Well... I was taking that old expression and making it into a joke (since I do like to cook, in addition to brewing) and your response seemed to indicate....

Blah. Whatever. You ain't gonna hurt my feelings, I'm plenty secure in my masculinity.

Same here my response to you was meant as a joke as well....

Joking around in print sometimes doesn't come off when you can't see facial expression or hear the tone of voice.

Here is how I keep mine happy when it comes to brewing:

The Brewery is in the backyard
1332-P1010050.JPG

And Kitchen is in the house, were I do most of the cooking too....

Fingers said:
Compared to what I was into before, brewing is a pleasure for her. I don't get any bitching or complaining or anything. She even likes the fact that I hang out at HBT now. You guys are a good influence. Hehehe. I'm a good boy now.

You know the best way to please a woman, Fingers?

... scratch that, I got the punctuation wrong... let me try again...

You know the best way to please a woman? Fingers. :D

This discussion made me think--ever notice how a lot of the things we consider "feminine" to often be mastered by men? Cooking-->male professional chefs, sewing-->male professional designers, etc. etc. Other cultures seem to share this too; it's the woman's job to make and serve tea in Japan, for example, but the true tea masters are all men.

Brewiz said:
Here is how I keep mine happy when it comes to brewing:

The Brewery is in the backyard
And Kitchen is in the house, were I do most of the cooking too....

Now here's a MAN that know's how to be Happy.

Can you say Man-Cave.

We could all learn a lot from this guy.

Well, here's what I did (unintentional, but it worked out perfectly!) :

1. Let the basement clutter up with car parts, speakers & other stereo equipment, regular household tools, etc.
2. Keep putting off projects like the poor lighting and disorganization of the laundry room and the large storage closet--say you'll get to it "some day."
3. Talk about how it's such a shame that the $150 All-Clad stock pot just sits there collecting dust, except for the 2 or 3 times a year when we have lobster.

Then, when the brewing equipment arrives, spring into action!
1. Buy/build a whole bunch of shelves and other organizational aids, and tidy up the closet and laundry room.
2. Get all the car stuff and tools into the garage where they belong.
3. Sell off SOME of the old stereo equipment.
4. Clean the entire kitchen, top to bottom.

Then brew! My wife loves the way the house smells on brew day (maybe I got lucky there?) Out of my usual OCD behavior, I clean and organize the hell out of everything when I'm done. This is not only good for the lady of the house, but just a good practice for homebrewing. :)

Then, when it's all done, for the piece de resistance... upgrade the lighting in the laundry room. :D

the_bird said:
You know the best way to please a woman, Fingers?

... scratch that, I got the punctuation wrong... let me try again...

I laughed so hard this morning, a little coffee came out of my nose! Now everything smells great...

the_bird said:

So if you want your woman pleasured, you know where to come! :rockin:

Seriously though, to add to the SWMBO discussion, I could quite easily dominate and force my will on my woman. I could do it with or without force. The problem with that is then you have a miserable/frightened woman and there is a perpetual dark cloud over the entire house. I like it when she's happy and laughs a lot, so it's in my own interest to cooperate with her as a partner rather than a servant. Hell, I outwork her any day of the week but that's by choice and not by crack of the whip. I don't cook so she prepares my favorites for me and in exchange I do the 'manly' tasks. She wanted our house modified to suit her tastes so she tells me how she wants it to look and I make it happen. In exchange, she designed in a really nice bar for me. I have to build it, but she's on board.

Neither one of us is to be 'obeyed', but we each defer to the other's special skills and negotiate compromises. Of course sometimes I bull ahead like your typical aggresive male but she's wise enough to wait and quietly appeal to logic and common sense at the appropriate time so as to avoid conflict.

Back