How do you get your SWMBO to try good beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AwesomeSquad

Reaction score
So last night I got the wife to watch "Beer Wars". After we saw it she was all about going out and trying different beers. Of course I was stoked that she was getting more into beer, so after I got home from being beat up a lot we went out to a bar that specializes in awesome beer. I am trying to get her to try bigger beers (mainly so I can save money by her drinking the beer I like) and got her to order a Rogue's Mocha Porter. She said that she didn't like it because it was too dark. The strange thing is that she has started drinking some pretty big IPAs recently and loves Sumpin Sumpin Ale. Before she liked BMC so this took a while in itself.
I think the main thing is the color of the beer. Have you guys had any luck getting your SWMBO (or HWMBO) to try more beers?

Not really. Bob always liked beers without much flavor, or malt-bombs. Lately, he's becoming more and more into hops, but it's been a long slow (6+ years) process. He still doesn't like IPAs, but he loves APAs.

I bet she'd like Rogue Dead Guy, if she wants to try better beer but not "dark" beers. Bob loved it, and still enjoys it on occasion.

I have a friend who loves Landshark and Corona. But I have an IPA that she loves. She doesn't like bitter, but she likes the citrusy or fruity hops. She loved my Yellow Fizzy Beer, but not the cream ale (go figure).

Put it in a colored plastic glass with a sippy cup lid. Problem solved.

And no, SWMBO will drink anything I put in front of her. :)

Little sips at a time. I didn't make a big deal of it I would just ask the wife to take a sip and tell me what flavors she could taste in it. Was it bready, fruity, grapefruit, pine, plums, chocolate ? whatever... She didn't see it as me trying to convert her, but her just trying to identify the taste... a great taste tester for my homebrews. Like... here hon, this is what I made today, or, this is what I'm ready to carb, or, do you think this is ready to serve yet?
Get the Mrs. involved and you will have another convert.

Little sips at a time. I didn't make a big deal of it I would just ask the wife to take a sip and tell me what flavors she could taste in it. Was it bready, fruity, grapefruit, pine, plums, chocolate ? whatever... She didn't see it as me trying to convert her, but her just trying to identify the taste... a great taste tester for my homebrews. Like... here hon, this is what I made today, or, this is what I'm ready to carb, or, do you think this is ready to serve yet?
Get the Mrs. involved and you will have another convert.

Good idea. We did this before when I was a bartender/server/sommelier at a wine bar. She used to like the more fruit foward (sweet) wines but she has branched out to some big Cabs. The thing that gets me is that she has such a wonderful pallet, without any training. She can pick out flavors without trying that I have to hunt for and it was my job to know about fine wine. I just want to her past this BMC thing so she can enjoy beer as much as she enjoys wine.

If it sounds like I am pushing her too much for something that is my hobby, you may be right, but she has asked me to help her and she really enjoyed doing this with wine. I just think she has it in her head that she doesn't like "dark beers"

Not really. Bob always liked beers without much flavor, or malt-bombs. Lately, he's becoming more and more into hops, but it's been a long slow (6+ years) process. He still doesn't like IPAs, but he loves APAs.

I bet she'd like Rogue Dead Guy, if she wants to try better beer but not "dark" beers. Bob loved it, and still enjoys it on occasion.

I have a friend who loves Landshark and Corona. But I have an IPA that she loves. She doesn't like bitter, but she likes the citrusy or fruity hops. She loved my Yellow Fizzy Beer, but not the cream ale (go figure).

Thank you, I'm gonna have to try Rogue Dead Guy.

I usually let the wife try whatever I'm trying if it's something new. Some things she likes, some things she doesn't. Though she tends to enjoy wheats/hefe's/Wits. She's yet to taste an IPA she likes but hey different taste buds for different people.

When I met my wife, she ordered a Red Stripe. I was like damn she knows at least something outside of Bud Light....Sweet.....So I kept putting different beers in front of her and she kept trying them....3 years later, we were married and I have a co-brewer!

I usually let the wife try whatever I'm trying if it's something new. Some things she likes, some things she doesn't. Though she tends to enjoy wheats/hefe's/Wits. She's yet to taste an IPA she likes but hey different taste buds for different people.

Mine is the same way. She'll try any beer, but I know her tastes. She like 'em malty and "wheaty". We differ a lot in our tastes, but we can settle on some beers on occassion. My lastest Belgian is a big hit with the both of us.

I know I know, to each her own. It just kills me to buy a six pack of bulldog porter or something and then have to get a sixer of bud light lime. I admit I am just trying to save money and get her to like my beer, but I watch HGTV with her now and have opinions on ****ing drapes! :D

I will admit though, that after being forced to watch "Real Housewives" I learned a hilarious new term, "Boughetto". It is now my favorite thing in the world.
Also, dancing banana :ban:

I'm pretty damn lucky I guess. My girl's favorite beers are IPA's, stouts and porters. I made a saison this summer, at first she didn't like it but then I think it grew on her and the keg dissappeared way too fast. The one thing I'm trying to get her into is sour beers. I just can't get her into those. Hopefully she'll change her tune when I decide my Berliner-weisse is ready to drink.

My girl really only liked wheat beers at first, like Blue Moon or Boulevard, but wasn't really much into beer anyway(however I can't complain because she NEVER drank BMC).

The first beer I turned her on to was Moose Drool, even though its dark, its really smooth. I've been slowly getting her to like the hoppy beers, but she still just prefers a malty over hoppy. 2 Below by New Belgium might be a good one to try. Its got a great malty/biscuity taste, but is very light colored.

Be careful though, before you know it she'll be yankin on that tap like it....nevermind :)

Even after bitter face after bitter face, all I have to do is raise the glass towards her and she'll grab it, look at the color, smell it, and taste it just as I taught her. I got it good.

She even gets the beer right often.

Back