How do you enjoy your Homebrew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJS

Reaction score
I havnt seen this one yet, maybe i didnt search enough.

How do you enjoy your brew? Its made, and packaged, ready to go. You open the bottle and pour, or pull the tap in you favorite glass...then what?

I was thinking about this last night, with my stout. Observing the whole process through the taste and smell,

Anything go wrong? Anything off? No.
What is good? Grainy, malty, strong, roasty, coffee notes. Yes.
Carbonation? Couldn't be better.

Now what?

For me, i sort of tune everything out and let the whole process, being a success, pause time, for a moment. I mean really enjoying the beer, making it all worth it. Of course brewing is satisfying, but its fullness, to me, peaks with the last step in the process...

Well, how do you enjoy your hard work?

If it's my first time trying a batch then I'm very critical of it. I do a BJCP-ish review and usually take notes. As time goes on I'll look at how the beer changes and see if it improves, but the further into a batch I get the more it shifts from analyzing it to just plain enjoyment without thinking too much about it.

I always check the smell and taste and color, then consume in mass amounts. I wish someone would've told me how hard keg stands are to do on a corny keg.

Once I pass the over-analyzing phase, my favorite part is finding out how others enjoy it. I have a few friends that are really trying to expand their palette so when I give them a homebrew I can tell by their honest opinions and facial expressions what they truly thought of it. When they start asking questions about what went into that brew and they get really interested then I start cracking a few more and we have a good ol' time.

When I open one for the first time I always pour it into a mug just to see how it looks. Then I taste it over a short period of time. The rest I open and drink straight from the bottle.

From a Perlick faucet, poured into a clean pint glass. Admired visually, aroma inhaled, and the first good sized sip followed by "I can't believe I made this!" :D

Making good beer can spoil one self.

I refrigerate my stout for a day or maybe 6 and then take it out an set it on the counter for an hour before opening. Wow does the taste jump out.

Once I pass the over-analyzing phase, my favorite part is finding out how others enjoy it. I have a few friends that are really trying to expand their palette so when I give them a homebrew I can tell by their honest opinions and facial expressions what they truly thought of it. When they start asking questions about what went into that brew and they get really interested then I start cracking a few more and we have a good ol' time.

Agreed, my brothers and i always analyze a new brew, especially the BJCP info i print out and place on the bar. Some of the brothers are from different countries, so if the beer is styled for their location they give tips on how to get closer or if its just right.

I refrigerate my stout for a day or maybe 6 and then take it out an set it on the counter for an hour before opening. Wow does the taste jump out.

You wait an hour? My congrats on your discipline great one.

I always check the smell and taste and color, then consume in mass amounts. I wish someone would've told me how hard keg stands are to do on a corny keg.

No!

Sorry, no keg stands with homebrew, not allowed.

I tend to be hypercritical as well. And not just the first time. I really pay attention to how the beers age over time and mature. Fascinating, this!

I'm my harshest critic. I tend to brew beers based on a style I drank that I liked. Then i'll brew that style and compare it to the best commercial version of it i've had. Usually, i'll think "This could be better" or "I could have done that a little different".

I won't actually decide that I like it till i've had a couple. I stick my schnozz in the glass a dozen times before I taste, then i'll take a couple sips, then more schnozz dipping. My wife looks at me like i'm crazy, IF she's present for a first tasting. I like to be alone for the first few. My house is usually a beehive of activity, so when the kids are asleep, and the ball and chain is snoring on the couch, I sneek into my stash and get acquainted with my homebrewed bottle of deliciousness. After a couple, it gets the thumbs up or thumbs down. If its thumbs down, it sits for awhile. If it's thumbs up, I throw a bunch in the fridge, and get some to my "tasters" to see what they think. The first few are very personal, almost religious. They get my undivided attention until I decide how I like them. Then its a free for all.

First few glasses (over several days) are >pour-observe-sniff-observe-sip-observe-sip-observe--till finished<I like to observe how the brew changes over time in the glass with temperature and exposure. after a couple trials...pour and enjoy, enjoy, ENJOY:tank:

We'll either watch videos or listen to music. Then I like to watch how it pours into the glass,after noting the quality of hiss when crackin it. Then watch the carbonation & head for a few moments. admire that with the color & clarity. Then it's time for nose diving,noting the malt & hop notes in all their complexity. How's the yeast aromas intermingling with the malt & hops? Then it's time for the taste,noting how all the aromas relate to the flavors. Especially as it warms up from the 47F fridge.
Then it's time to kick back & enjoy all that goodness.:rockin:

Awesome replies.

Just think the next time you crack a new brew, how many other homebrewers are sipping their first one as well.

The first few are very personal, almost religious. They get my undivided attention until I decide how I like them. Then its a free for all.

This is exactly what im talking about. Awesome

You wait an hour? My congrats on your discipline great one.

I do the same thing with my stouts/porters. Maybe not always an hour, but at least 15-20 the let them warm up a bit. Fridge temperatures are too cold for stout serving temperatures. The roasted flavors really pop when served around 50 or so. All my other beers I usually enjoy straight from the fridge or my kegerator set at 40.

For the first bottle out of a batch, I follow a pretty strict process.

1) Disrobe.
2) Turn off all overhead lighting.
3) Turn on small desk lamp.
4) Put on viking hat with the horns facing backwards.
5) Align troll dolls according to size, gender and hair color.
6) Remove glass from cabinet, set it on the counter and spin it slowly to make 4.25 rotations.
7) Remove bottle from fridge and do a series of rubs and taps that can only be described as "up down up down left right left right B A select start".
8) Pour beer into glass standing on my left leg only for the first half of the pour and then shift to my right leg only for the remainder of the pour.
9) Before taking first sip or smell, turn troll dolls 180 degrees so that cannot see me.
10) Smell
11) Sip
12) Do an ancient viking chant praising the gods of rediculousness
13a) If the beer was good, smash the bottle on the kitchen floor.
13b) If the beer was ok, smash the bottle on the garage floor.
13c) If the beer was bad, spin it 4 times to rid the bottle of bad beer spirits
14) Try to explain to my wife what I was just doing.

1) Disrobe.
6) Remove glass from cabinet, set it on the counter and spin it slowly to make 4.25 rotations.
7) Remove bottle from fridge and do a series of rubs and taps that can only be described as "up down up down left right left right B A select start".
8) Pour beer into glass standing on my left leg only for the first half of the pour and then shift to my right leg only for the remainder of the pour.
9) Before taking first sip or smell, turn troll dolls 180 degrees so that cannot see me.
10) Smell
11) Sip

Phew - someone else does the same thing I do. I don't feel so silly now. :cross:

Already trading pelts for cash... so now I just need to find a viking. Meet a few in Minnesota, but there isn't that many in Oklahoma.

I read this thread last night and was bottling. I ended up with about 2L of beer in my mug and we "had to leave" in 15 minutes... That was a helluva feat to drink down that much of a 9% stout. The wife was not happy when I wanted more and still had time for some... :D

As a Native born Swede I would like to add that if you can defeat a viking with a kick in the shin he was not a real viking and stealing his helm would not be worth it since it holds no true power.

H-ost said:
As a Native born Swede I would like to add that if you can defeat a viking with a kick in the shin he was not a real viking and stealing his helm would not be worth it since it holds no true power.

Happy Leif Erricson Day. Hinga dinga durgen

Bernie Brewer said:
Really? You need step by step instructions on how to drink a beer? Turn in you man card. Now.

:D

Love your pic. Best Christmas Carol ever!

As for the thread... Thank goodness. I thought I was the only one with a too-intimate relationship with my beers.

Happy Leif Erricson Day. Hinga dinga durgen

Screw those Nords! I definitely do not associate myself with them fools. Did you hear about their recent ice shortage? ...They forgot the recipe...! Bajajaja swedish humor...

But in all honesty, if you are trying to think of a famous swede, then I tip my hat to the Swedish Chef from the muppets. Maybe Alfred Nobel too...

H-ost said:
Screw those Nords! I definitely do not associate myself with them fools. Did you hear about their recent ice shortage? ...They forgot the recipe...! Bajajaja swedish humor...

But in all honesty, if you are trying to think of a famous swede, then I tip my hat to the Swedish Chef from the muppets. Maybe Alfred Nobel too...

SOMEbody doesn't watch spongebob.

RDWHAHB...Hombre

Unknown.jpeg

1) Disrobe.
10) Smell
11) Sip

This made me LOL and I had to explain to my co-worker that no, I was NOT laughing at their spreadsheet

Back