How do YOU deal with the new Big Mouth Bubbler Lid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iowa Brewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, so I bought two BMBs. I love the concept, but the dang lid keeps popping up, as I've seen others post--after buying mine, of course.

1) One of them works if I turn the cap's ring upside down so the narrow part is up.
2) The other won't go in that way, and doesn't stay in for more than 20min even if the thing is dry.

So... this was my method, today (inside is an northern English ale aerating). Now it's in the fermentation chamber with the same setup.

On the plus side, to put the 1.25 weights on it, I'll now have to curl with 1.75 lb more resistance... so at least this will get me beefed up ;)

IMG_2260.JPG

Northern sent me a free carrying harness that has a lid retention feature... It works perfectly and makes it easy to carry.

Northern sent me a free carrying harness that has a lid retention feature... It works perfectly and makes it easy to carry.

That’s great, Packerjh! Initially I was going to return it, but while Amazon said it would be a free return due to defect, NB’s policy said I’d pay postage, which I didn’t think was cool. From what you said, I might contact them. Cheers!

The ones I bought (first gen) had screw caps that would not seal. So I got some of the newer ones and they all popped up. NB has a habit of almost getting it right on all of their private label gear. I took my new plastic lid to a friend with a lathe and we turned the outer edge so the threaded ring could be screwed to the bottle. Now non of mine pop up. If they would have done it right in the first place we wouldn't be bitchen.

The ones I bought (first gen) had screw caps that would not seal. So I got some of the newer ones and they all popped up. NB has a habit of almost getting it right on all of their private label gear. I took my new plastic lid to a friend with a lathe and we turned the outer edge so the threaded ring could be screwed to the bottle. Now non of mine pop up. If they would have done it right in the first place we wouldn't be bitchen.

Yea, that's what I did. See link below. In that thread, somebody recommended cutting off the largest ring, and for me that did the trick.

Big Mouth Bubbler- Solution to the bad lid seal problem

Latest posts

Back