How do you condition your beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevorino

Reaction score
A typical 5-7% gravity ale I let sit about a week after primary fermentation in the original carboy (about 2 weeks total from pitching to siphoning to kegs). Then I carbonate and let it sit another couple weeks.

I'm trying to figure out if there's a better way to get to the prime of my beer earlier -- what do you do?

I give it 2-3 weeks in the primary and then to kegs. You can not rush beer to its prime, but leaving it in the primary will give teh yeast more time to clean up after teh fermentation. Racking to a secondary too early removes a lot of yeast and it takes longer for the clean up process to happen.

I've made mostly IPA's in that ABV range (17 total now) and all have used a similar 28 day schedule and they taste great.

-Ferment for 12 days @ 68-72F
-chill to 52F to drop yeast for 3 days
-transfer to secondary and warm to 68 to dryhop for 7 days
-crash cool over 24 hours to 32 and then add gelatine for 3 days.
-keg and carb for 2 days.

IPA's are a little different since you need to get at those hops before they fade. Additional aging is necessary on more grain complex ales.

I've noticed that bulk aging is worth about double what aging in the bottle is worth. When I make the same batch twice and I give one an extra two weeks in the fermenter I notice that the one I bottle sooner needs about a month after it carbonates to really get good, while the one with more fermenter time tastes that way right about the time it gets carbonated. Just my observations so YMMV.

For most of my beers (belgian and higher ABV I let age a bit more), I do a standard 2 weeks primary, 2 weeks secondary, cold crash, keg, set at serving pressure for 2-3 weeks, then drink. I don't typically plan on drinking a beer within 2 months of brewing, hefes a little sooner.

I have been keeping my beers in the primary for more than 4 weeks now and then to the keg unless a dry hop is called for. The beer is clear and cleaned up by this time. Then a week or 2 to carb in the keg and it is serving time. I think I will condition longer depending on the beer though. I think my Dead guy needs more conditioning as it is only about 7 weeks old now.

So I have completely fermented two carboys of Blonde Ale (5.6%) -- about a week long fermentation. I still have two carboys free-- what will happen if I move my Blonde Ales out of the 68 degree fridge and into the room temperature room (71-74 during summer) to do it's conditioning so that I can brew another batch?

My FES I had in primary 4 weeks, and after only 2 weeks bottled it tasted great and was actually carbed plenty.

Typical is 3 weeks in primary, stick primary in fridge for a week of clearing at 34* or so, then into keg until a spot opens up. I've got quite a pipeline building, so it is difficult to imagine I'll be drinking a beer younger than 8 - 10 weeks old from here on. Nice not to have the option to nibble on a green beer:D

Since beginning brewing I have found that an extended primary makes for a better finished product. Just like many, my first brew was in the bottle within 12 days and I had sampled one within the first month (less than 28 days from brew to belly), needless to say it tasted like ****! Since then I have brewed about 8 times and I have been leaving most of my brew in the primary for at least 4 weeks (with the exception of Wits/Wheats and Belgians. Wits/Wheats 14 day primary, Belgians [depends] 6-7 weeks). My brews have tasted so much better after bottle conditioning for only 21 days or so. That first brew never really tasted right, and I wasn't going to wait a year and hope it would be better. I think I drank the last one about 4months after it was bottled and it still sucked.

Well, first off, your beer's conditioned when it tastes good to you. Second, there are a number of approaches, by the time you consider the "primary then straight to conditioning" crowd, or the more conservative "primary then secondary then conditioning" contingent...and then you must choose whether to bottle or keg. I've been brewing not quite two years, just brewed my first AG batch yesterday, but stick with 1-2-4: a week in the primary, two in the secondary, four weeks in bottles. Pretty much "by the book," but what can I say, it works for me. 1-2-4 is a pretty good rule, although as some have pointed out......there are exceptions. A wheat beer is probably going to be ready to drink as soon as it's well carbonated, maybe two weeks or even less. Big beers are likely to extend any or all of those times. I have an imperial stout that had its first birthday the 3rd of this month, and it's finally getting really nice.
I have no experience with kegging, and no plans to go there, as I don't require those volumes and don't want the expense or complexity of the necessary equipment.

Well, first off, your beer's conditioned when it tastes good to you. Second, there are a number of approaches, by the time you consider the "primary then straight to conditioning" crowd, or the more conservative "primary then secondary then conditioning" contingent...and then you must choose whether to bottle or keg. I've been brewing not quite two years, just brewed my first AG batch yesterday, but stick with 1-2-4: a week in the primary, two in the secondary, four weeks in bottles. Pretty much "by the book," but what can I say, it works for me. 1-2-4 is a pretty good rule, although as some have pointed out......there are exceptions. A wheat beer is probably going to be ready to drink as soon as it's well carbonated, maybe two weeks or even less. Big beers are likely to extend any or all of those times. I have an imperial stout that had its first birthday the 3rd of this month, and it's finally getting really nice.
I have no experience with kegging, and no plans to go there, as I don't require those volumes and don't want the expense or complexity of the necessary equipment.

Why are wheat beers the exception -- what makes them quicker to condition?

Why are wheat beers the exception -- what makes them quicker to condition?

I have no idea why that should be the case......half the malt in a lot of wheat beer recipes is barley....I only know that I've read it in other accounts, and it's pretty much held true with the weissbier I've brewed.

Let's say I primaried 3 weeks, then bottle conditioned 2 weeks. Is there any benefit to leaving the beer in the fridge for a week or 2 prior to drinking or is a day or 2 going to be about the same?

Let's say I primaried 3 weeks, then bottle conditioned 2 weeks. Is there any benefit to leaving the beer in the fridge for a week or 2 prior to drinking or is a day or 2 going to be about the same?

Leaving it in the fridge a week really helps the co2 get absorbed in the beer. There's a better description on here somewhere. Also the yeast will cake up better.

A three week primary is about average to get the beer to Fg A a week or less to clean up fermentation by products,which are normal but get magnified by high temps,under/over-pitching,etc. 2 weeks bottle time might be good for a wheat beer,but the average pale ale/IPA will take 3 or 4 weeks on average. And in my experience,conditioning of the flavors & aromas takes about a week longer than carbonation. But again,that depends on the gravity & darkness. I've found even average gravity beers that are dark can take a bit longer to condittion or even carb.
But a week in the fridge is good to give any resulting chill haze a chance to settle & get more co2 into solution. 2 weeks fridge time I've found (happy accident) gives thicker head & longer lasting,fine bubbled carbonation. I'll also add here that it seems that cold conditioning at 2 weeks has some merit. Some beers seem to be a bit better tasting at two weeks,over & above carb & condition time at room temp,etc. And yes,the trub at the bottom of the bottle compacts tighter,allowing you to pour off more clear beer.

Back