How do you clean your BIAB bag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbaker

Reaction score
I've been brewing with cheesecloth to great success. However cleaning this this is kind of a nightmare. The best solution I've found is putting it in the washing machine, however I wouldn't put it in with anything else. I had grain bits in my pants pocket for a week after I washed my jeans in the same load. Any other ideas for cleaning your bag? The other draw back of the washing machine is how long it takes, so if you wanted to do back to back brews you'd need more than one bag.

I use nylon bads, dump the grains out and run a hose through the other side and pushes most of it out. Then after it's dry I just shake it out. Im not too worried bout getting 100% clean really. Everything is going to be boiled after mashing anyway. No need to worry about contamination. And if your going to brew back to back, as long as you got most of it out, I think you'd be fine just rinsing it and reusing it.

I just rinse mine in hot water and shake it. Then turn it inside out and let it dry. After dry give it a good shake to knock any loose stuff off it. Brew another batch and repeat.

I rinse it off in the sink then throw it in the washing machine on gentle cycle (very light detergent, no fabric softener) then hang to dry. Probably overkill but it works great.

Polyester voile material rinses off well. I usually just turn the bag inside out and spray it down with the hose outside after i dump the grain, i've rinsed it in the kitchen sink as well. My bag is turning a tan color and I have thought about soaking it in oxiclean, but probably won't bother anytime soon.

Some pretty simple ideas, I'm mostly hindered because I'm in an apartment with no access to a hose. I've tried to clean it in the sink and just end up with grain/hops (mostly rice hulls) all over the place with plenty still clinging all over the bag. Thank you for the tips though.

Hang em up to dry and after that a good shake will get rid of just about everything. I used to do that but now give it a run through the washer which does a good job also.

Some pretty simple ideas, I'm mostly hindered because I'm in an apartment with no access to a hose. I've tried to clean it in the sink and just end up with grain/hops (mostly rice hulls) all over the place with plenty still clinging all over the bag. Thank you for the tips though.

I doubt you need rice hulls for BIAB:confused:. I think perhaps paint strainer bags a coarser than poly voile and the grain adheres more...FWIW I don't dare put grain bags in the washing machine, but I will put Waterford crystal in the dishwasher...go figure?

Dump in my compost and turn inside out and shake. Run under hot water and let dry.

I use nylon bads, dump the grains out and run a hose through the other side and pushes most of it out. Then after it's dry I just shake it out. Im not too worried bout getting 100% clean really. Everything is going to be boiled after mashing anyway. No need to worry about contamination. And if your going to brew back to back, as long as you got most of it out, I think you'd be fine just rinsing it and reusing it.

Yes, I agree with you, it's going to boil again, keep it simple, we know how much cleaning and sanitizing we have to do in brewing so one less thing to worry about.

I just rinse the bag, then turn it inside out and spray it out , hang to dry, and then shake it out before use. I'm in an apartment, and I usually do most of my cleaning in the bathtub, I have one of the detachable showerhead on a hose things, I just unscrew the showerhead and it's pretty similar to a garden hose.

Can't imagine washing it with clothes, all the scents and perfumes involved in those things makes me cringe. I soaked my old bag every 10 or so batches in the oxi wash I use for the tubing and airlocks and keg bits, I retired the bag after 60-odd batches and sewed a new one with seams that won't fray, can't see a need to ever bother with anything beyond rinsing the new bag.

Back