How do you clean your bags?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgx2

Reaction score
I rinsed my grain bag and hop bag as soon as i was done with them with plain water and hung to dry. Should i use any kind of cleaner on them?

I'm throwing away the bags after use, they are too cheap to bother cleaning

What bags do use? The ones that I have are like 5$ a piece, and they are high quality nylon mesh. I have also used a 5$ Walmart Voile curtain to make a big hop bag. But I wouldn't throw that out because I have stitched it.

I've had my home made $5 curtain bag for 3 years. Always just rinsed then air dried and stuck husks just came right off. It's come to have a slight brown tinge so I threw it in the sink with a little bleach. Totally back to shiny and new. Took about 6 soaking rinses before the bleach smell went away though. Maybe in another 3 years I'll try a different technique. Haha. Maybe hot PBW soak.

I just rinse mine with the water that is coming out of the end of my wort chiller while the wort is cooling down.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Wash em good and hang em dry. I have the easiest time of it using the shower head personally. Whatever I miss can be easily dusted off when it dries.

If I see the bags starting to get grungy I'll soak them in bleach for a while just to make it look nicer, but it doesn't seem to be necessary.

5 gallon paint strainer bags- hand wash with dish soap inside and out, rinse out well and hang dry. When dry shake inside out to knock off grain husks. Throw away after about 10-15 uses.

Rinse mine, let it air dry, then give it a good couple shakes to get rid of any material that may have hung around, then hang it up until the next use. Next brew day, I'll shake it a bit more, and always give it a good look over to make sure its serviceable.

I use a cheap curtain from ikea, folded over three times unsewn. It's 3$ for two of them, so not a big deal if I ear them out more quickly. I rinse, flip inside out, rinse. Then into the washer.

Soak and rinse mine after using it and let it air dry. There might be a few particles left, but you can probably shake or pick them out.

I lay mine inside out on a concrete walkway, step on one end and spray it full blast with a garden hose. Spin it around and repeat. Turn it right side out and repeat. Whip it dry, and drape over a chair inside to air dry.

spray inside and out, hang to dry.. always sanitize befor using again, but the wilserbrew bags are nice!

I was wondering why he would sanitize the bag. It is used before the boil, so anything that would get into the boil would be sterilized by the boil.

I like to rinse with water then freeze in a ziplock. No need use a cleaner. Just bring straight from the freezer and drop it in the hot water before use.

I rinse off the big stuff, let them dry, knock off anything that is left. Depending on if I think far enough ahead, I put them in the washing machine. Even still, I bleach them, I rinse them, and run them through Iodophor before using them.

I turn mine inside out and run it through the washing machine with my hop bag using hot water, and no detergent. Then I air dry it.

A quick rinse and hanging it up to dry has worked fine so far. Getting soap or anything on it doesn't sound like a great idea to me.

I hand wash mine in oxyclean free right after I dump the spent grains, rinse well, and then hang to air dry.

George

Toss in laundry room for the wife to put in next load. She uses fagrance free detergent. It's hanging in there nice and clean when brewing day comes around again!

Back