How do you clean/sanitize your odd shaped items - beer gun, rack, etc?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuda6pak

Reaction score
For those items that are typically shaped like the above, how do you handle soaking/cleaning them with PBW? On my old 3 tier setup I'd fill the HLT with PBW after each session and do it that way, but now that I BIAC I don't typically have anything I fill with PBW for more than a gallon anymore.

Any cheap, shallow containers like this in mind? Food grade would be nice if plastic.

I use a 1 gallon garden sprayer filled with PBW that I use to clean my beer lines. The end is fitted with a 1/4" male flared thread that adapts to beer lines, my beer gun, or any hoses i need to clean/sanitize. Then I leave the beer gun, racking cane or tubing pressurized to effectively "soak" what will be exposed to the beer. This reduces the volume of PBW used per cleaning, we all know it's not cheap.

I bought about 3 feet of 5" PVC pipe. A couple of threaded adapters, one flush cleanout cap and one with a know. I mounted the flush cleanout cap in one of the adapters, screwed it to some plywood and sealed it up with silicone caulk. Glued the pipe to it and the other adapter. I keep it filled with Star San made with distilled water so it lasts a long time. When I have something to sanitize I take off the cap and toss it in.

am I the only one that just bought a 5gal bucket for $2 at home depot?

edit: oh "cheap and shallow"....my bad

I bought about 3 feet of 5" PVC pipe. A couple of threaded adapters, one flush cleanout cap and one with a know. I mounted the flush cleanout cap in one of the adapters, screwed it to some plywood and sealed it up with silicone caulk. Glued the pipe to it and the other adapter. I keep it filled with Star San made with distilled water so it lasts a long time. When I have something to sanitize I take off the cap and toss it in.

How much fluid does 3' of 5" pipe hold?

(I'm sure I could do the math, but on the off chance you've measured...)

A restaurant bussing tray might be suitable. The ones I use are 15" × 19" × 6.5" deep.

That's what I use. .

With a few home Depot buckets.
For sanitizing I picked up some food grade buckets from Shipleys doughnuts. They were for icing. ..

Aside from a spray bottle filled with starsan, this is the best 4 bucks you'll spend for this purpose. I purchased at a paint store.

i-VBsghmV-M.jpg

I just got an old Rubbermaid toat, one for cleaning and one for sanitizing. I can fit my entire 5 gallon buckets in that puppy! Of coarse it does take up a bit more space.

Aside from a spray bottle filled with starsan, this is the best 4 bucks you'll spend for this purpose. I purchased at a paint store.

+1 for the spray bottle that gets SO much use.

I also use a squirt bottle, the kind that is intended for ketchup or whatever, cheap and helps prime a siphon line.

Back