How do you bottle soda from a keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duganderson

Reaction score
I have a CO2 tank and regulator to make soda in 2 liters with a carbonator cap. I'm planning to get a keg and I have a question.

If I bottle soda in a keg but I want to bottle some of the sodas, can I just pour the soda into bottles from the keg with a picnic tap and then cap OR will I lose too much carbonation?

Any ideas appreciated. Thanks

You'll lose a lot of carbonation. My suggestion is you make your soda, and then before it's carbonated, you transfer some of it to your 2 liters with a picnic tap. Once you get them filled, carb them with your carbonator cap.

These won't work to bottle carbonated soda. In order to maintain carbonation, you would have to pump beer into the bottle with at least 15-20lbs of pressure. A counter pressure bottle filler won't support a PSI that high. And...as far as the hose on a tap, or any other method...you'll lose too much carbonation that way since CO2 comes out of solution VERY fast with soda.

It works to an extent, I still get a loss of carbonation though. The main thing is that with less turbulence and some pressurized filling, even on the 2 liter bottle, the carbonation is lost at what seems (I don't have measurements) to be a slower process.

I still agree that with the carb cap, but when I did have some water from a keg to a bottle, I don't have to carb as much afterwards when using a bottle filler.

Pouring from a picnic tab into a 2 liter without the pressurized filler loses more of the carbonation to the point that it's pretty flat compared to pressurized filling. Ideally, to minimize co2 loss, the soda would be filled first, then carbonated with the cap.

The main issue is that at the higher pressure, it's a pain to keep the stopper on correctly, but the process is no different than how bottling lines fill their 2 liter soda bottles.

I have a CO2 tank and regulator to make soda in 2 liters with a carbonator cap. I'm planning to get a keg and I have a question.

If I bottle soda in a keg but I want to bottle some of the sodas, can I just pour the soda into bottles from the keg with a picnic tap and then cap OR will I lose too much carbonation?

Any ideas appreciated. Thanks
Did any of those solutions end up working for you?

Back