How do you all wash your beer mugs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanJE

Reaction score
What do you use since I know that largely effects taste and head retention?

I wash them in the sink with a bottle brush (inside) and sponge (outside) hot soapy water, rinse with hot water and then with cold water, drip dry upside down or use wet. Never dry the inside with a towel (there's soap resudue on the towel).;)

I hand-wash them with hot soapy water, rinse well, then rinse with cold water and air-dry in the strainer.

You also said "mugs". May I suggest drinking your beer from a beer glass? Like, say, this one...

Lucifer.jpg

I have three of these particular ones---the club-footed design is my favorite. Like with wine, a "snifter"-styled glass like this concentrates the aroma---as such, you get to experience your beer much more intensely and clearly than with a mug. Just a suggestion.

I occasionally wash them with hot water in the sink with Ivory dishsoap, but most of the time I just rinse them under hot water and spray them out real good with the sprayer attached to the sink and let them drip dry without using soap.

Evan! said:
You also said "mugs". May I suggest drinking your beer from a beer glass? Like, say, this one...

Lucifer.jpg

I have three of these particular ones---the club-footed design is my favorite. Like with wine, a "snifter"-styled glass like this concentrates the aroma---as such, you get to experience your beer much more intensely and clearly than with a mug. Just a suggestion.

Those look nice, but I'm a fan of the utilitarian pint glass. In fact, I've convinced SWMBO that we need to convert all of our regular drinking glasses to pint glasses, since we're short on cabinet space and they can be stacked. :D

the_bird said:
Those look nice, but I'm a fan of the utilitarian pint glass. In fact, I've convinced SWMBO that we need to convert all of our regular drinking glasses to pint glasses, since we're short on cabinet space and they can be stacked. :D

I'm a pint fan too. Mine get used a lot since they're so utilitarian. However I do use my Weizen glasses a lot as well. As far as washing, unless I've stupidly (or drunkenly) let some lacing dry on the sides or runoff dry on the bottom, I'm a major rinser. I try not to use soap on em' at all. Just a lot of heavy duty rinsing.

LOL and SWMBO has given up on washing my beer glasses. She knows I'm weird about it. :D

Ize

Sorry I shouldnt have said mugs, i use pint glasses, weizen glasses, goblets, pub glasses, and mugs. The occasional mug isnt so bad as long as i can see through it.

Evan! said:
I hand-wash them with hot soapy water, rinse well, then rinse with cold water and air-dry in the strainer.

Lucifer.jpg

Where do you get something like that by the way, i dont have one of those.

homebrewer_99 said:
Reading the thread title I have to add that I don't wash ALL of my glasses since I have several hundred of them.

They were all washed at one time, but now I only wash them as I need them.;)

It says how do you all? Long for yall. nice shot at being a smart ass, but better luck next time!! HAHA:D

RyanJE said:
Where do you get something like that by the way, i dont have one of those.

Follow the link in my post. Global Beer has TONS of great goblets and other glasses---they're geared towards Belgian stuff. They're sold out of this particular glass (my wifey bought me the last three that they had for xmas!!) but they have lots of other cool ones. I have a couple of Hoegaarten ones from them as well.

Ize said:
LOL and SWMBO has given up on washing my beer glasses. She knows I'm weird about it. :D

Ize

lol mine too!

I just rinse with hott water for about 15 seconds, upside down drip dry, and then frost the mugs. Those are the only ones I frost. Other glasses are room temperature.

If you immediately refill your mug after draining it, you never have to wash it. You also never have to succumb to the drudgeries of being sober that way.

Yuri_Rage said:
If you immediately refill your mug after draining it, you never have to wash it. You also never have to succumb to the drudgeries of being sober that way.

Amen Brother, Amen. :D

Ize

RichBrewer said:
I just rinse mine with very hot water right after they have been emptied.

Me too.

The glasses my friends drink from have been hand washed in suds but rinsed in very hot water prior to being drip dried. My personal ones just get the hot water.

Back