How do u clean off keg lube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol, shower = funny. Hot water soap = a solution? Nitrile gloves = crap off to google....double crap still can't tell if its funny or a solution. Reluctant to ask how to use exam gloves. :confused:

On a serious note I've got 7 kegs and run through at least 50 batches between them and I've never owned keg lube. Guess I prefer going in dry.

Nitrile gloves was serious. Put gloves on lube o rings discard gloves.
No muss no fuss

$5/box at harborfreight

Right. A bad sealing (even new ones don't seal on some kegs) can be cured by KLJelly.

Getting it removed is a real pain. It is super sticky.

The innuendo that was possible in this last reply had me carefully word this :/

I use THIS Stuff. I got it at Ace Hardware but there are alot of different brands. It's way easy to use and a can lasts a long time.

Try this. Olive oil is a phenomenal cleaner. A little in the palm, rub your hands good and long, wipe them with a paper towel and then clean them with soap and warm water. It will take off almost anything, including paint! Those Romans were sooo clever.

I'm going to be honest....This is the one area i'm lax with sanitation.

1) Only use lube when absolutely needed. Do a leak test.
2) when cleaning, wipe as much off with a paper towel as possible
3) soap and water
4) soak in sani solution.
5) put them back on the keg and pray.

The stuff is nearly impossible to completely remove.....on the other hand, it works amazing.

Right. A bad sealing (even new ones don't seal on some kegs) can be cured by KLJelly.

Getting it removed is a real pain. It is super sticky.

The innuendo that was possible in this last reply had me carefully word this :/

innuendo aside and I had a great one mind you--Are you initially sealing the o-ring with 30 psi?

edit: never heard of KLjelly...would that stand for *REDACTED* Jelly?

Indeed. I do seat the lid with higher pressure.

Is this the only keg with the issue, or You only have one keg? Do you need a new o-ring? How easy is it to unlatch? If very easy, then consider a new lid or bend the legs a little to increase the pressure of the o-ring between the lid and keg lip.

I've got a ton of kegs, 16 or so. Some get the opening compromised (dented, out of true round, etc) by their hard life of getting knocked around. That is the usual culprit. And a little keg lube does the trick.

Back