How do I use my new kegco dual regulator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BansheeRider

Reaction score
Finished my kegerator build today and kegged my first beer. I am force carbing at 30psi as we speak. The front knob on the regulator was really hard to turn to get the 30psi. This is my first time so I may be doing something wrong. Right now it is physically impossible to go above 30psi (not that I need to) because the knob is really tight. Also when I lower to serving pressure do I purge on the regulator or the keg to reach the desired pressure? Also when I turn the front knob loose counter clockwise the psi stays the same. Is this normal?

There is usually a ring behind the dial knob that keeps the dial from accidentally turning too far. You need to loosen that to turn up the pressure. You then need to purge after turning the dial down in order to release the pressure and let it reset at the lower psi.

There is usually a ring behind the dial knob that keeps the dial from accidentally turning too far. You need to loosen that to turn up the pressure. You then need to purge after turning the dial down in order to release the pressure and let it reset at the lower psi.

Thanks for the response. Do I purge from the regulator or keg? Also when I dispense liquid from the tap I noticed the psi drops. Will the psi return to the set psi eventually or do I need to re-adjust?

Pull the relief valve on the keg - if it's still hooked to the regulator it will purge them both. If you try to just pull the relief valve on the regulator it won't purge the keg if you have a check valve - which you should BTW to prevent backflow and damage to the regulator. Ask me how I know. ;)

The pressure should only drop for a few seconds if at all then go back up as new CO2 fills the small space that you emptied by dispensing. You don't need to keep adjusting.

The stupid dial knob is still hard to turn with the ring moved all the way back. I can't get above the 30psi mark.

Huh. Well, you shouldn't ever need to go over 30 psi as you said, but not sure why it won't.
I actually never use anything over serving pressure, after lots of experimenting I gave up on burst carbing long ago and just go set and forget for 1-2 wks.

I also have a kegco dual regulator. Mine to is hard to turn by hand. I leave a small pair of channel locks near my keezer for when i need to make adjustments. Just seems to be the nature of the beast.

I also have a kegco dual regulator. Mine to is hard to turn by hand. I leave a small pair of channel locks near my keezer for when i need to make adjustments. Just seems to be the nature of the beast.

Yeah it seems to be that way. Oh well at least it's not leaking C02 or doesn't work. So far so good.

Back