How do I polish a used keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Belgian Samurai

Reaction score
Hi,

(Moderator, please move this thread to correct forum if I've posted in the wrong place.)

Does anyone know how to clean/polish/buff a keg to make the stamped info more legible? Is it even possible?

Thanks,
Belgian Samurai

PXL_20210927_205125722.jpg PXL_20210927_205205346.jpg

Look at the "Similar Threads" list as well as there is at least one fairly comprehensive corny keg polishing process somewhere on HBT.
I used it....once...and that keg still looks like a mirrored cannister. But I decided the time needed was better spent on other endeavors...

Cheers!

[edit] I believe I followed a post by @Bobby_M on polishing kegs.
Sadly, all of the forum runner changes over the years that trashed so much valuable information got to this thread, too...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/polishing-your-keg-is-more-than-a-clever-euphemism.54025/

I am pretty sure it was Bobby's instructions I followed but I don't think you will find the polishing sticks at Lowes. Harbor Freight sells polishing sticks and I used the green and black ones. I think the black one before the green. Also, they may not have those exact finishing pads. I am pretty sure I used these and there was a much thicker more aggressive black one but it takes a serious amount off and I only used that for the worst scratches. This was for my keggles, I bet the black pad I am thinking of would take the writing off. I've always wanted to do my kegs but I've never really had the time. It wouldn't take nearly as long as a 1/2 barrel keg I'd expect. Some kind of stand to hold it would be useful. I used the frame from an old hamper that was made out of pvc to hold the 1/2 barrel keg it was a rectangular box.

I am pretty sure it was Bobby's instructions I followed but I don't think you will find the polishing sticks at Lowes. Harbor Freight sells polishing sticks and I used the green and black ones. I think the black one before the green. Also, they may not have those exact finishing pads. I am pretty sure I used these and there was a much thicker more aggressive black one but it takes a serious amount off and I only used that for the worst scratches. This was for my keggles, I bet the black pad I am thinking of would take the writing off. I've always wanted to do my kegs but I've never really had the time. It wouldn't take nearly as long as a 1/2 barrel keg I'd expect. Some kind of stand to hold it would be useful. I used the frame from an old hamper that was made out of pvc to hold the 1/2 barrel keg it was a rectangular box.
Thanks for that detailed info! I've thought about that mirror finish and I'm impressed by it, but since these dispensing kegs are never really seen, I decided to go with Bar Keeper's Friend, a scotch bright pad and 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper. I may have been able to skip the sandpaper step altogether.

Here is a before and after. (Albeit, not the same keg when I took the picture, but the same result.)

PXL_20210928_170015966.jpg PXL_20210928_170022005.jpg PXL_20210928_170008804.jpg

Cheers!

Back