How do I make up 10 points of OG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yankeehillbrewer

Reaction score
So I used my new MLT today and missed my OG by about 10 points. Target was 1.075 actual was 1.064. I partly missed it because I didn't boil off enough, that may infact be there entire reason, I don't know.

Either way, how much DME do I use to make up 10 points?

I'm thinking about a 1/4lb, but I'm not sure if my math is right. I've been searching for about an hour but can't find the answer. It's only been in the fermenter for about 2 hours so I should be able to still add it.

Thanks in advance:mug:

Yes! Just boil up a couple cups of water, add the DME until it's dissolved and boiling (just a couple of minutes is fine), and then cool in an ice bath in the sink until it's the correct temperature.

Cool Thanks again. I didn't have quite a lb, but something is better than nothing. I figure it will get me up to about 1.070 or so, close enough.

You can add a dab of sugar, if you are short on DME. In that small of an amount, you should not see any difference in the beer.

This is an Arrogant Bastard clone, so I was really dissappointed when I missed my OG by so much. My biggest concern was it being way out of balance with 4oz of Chinook. But I had about 14oz of DME so I should be pretty good. I pitched it onto the yeast cake of my previous batch, which was another first for me. That thing took off like a bandit, when I put the DME in there, it already had a huge Krausen on it.

Thanks again for the help

It's never too late to add it unless it's bottled or you filtered the yeast out. ;)

Well that's good to know, I was just going to ask that. Made a blonde recently and missed the OG by about 8 points (didn't boil off enough) and I was really worried about malt/hop flavor ratios. It's been in primary for about 10 days now and I was thinking of doing it but was afraid of off-flavors or something of the sort.

I was thinking of just shrugging it off and making it an "Oops Batch", but now that I have the proper information I think I'm going to try to get it to it's full potential.

EDIT: I'm assuming I should avoid aeration but should the yeast be roused or will that just happen naturally from the addition of fermentables?

I'd just dump it in and not worry about rousing the yeast if it's only been two days... your fermentation is still bubbling along, right? There will be plenty of yeast in suspension, and pouring it in will rouse up some too.

Back