How do I make this recipe chewier?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tall_Yotie

Reaction score
Hey all!

So I brewed up this recipe (Pannepot clone):

batch size: 5.25g
OG: 1.100
FG: 1.030)

12 Belgian Pilsner
4 German Pilsner
1/2 Belgian Special B
1/4 Flaked Maize
1/8 Carafa II
1/8 Chocolate Malt
1/8 Pale Chocolate Malt
1 Candi Syrup D180
1 Candi Syrup D90

2.0 oz Kent Goldings 45min
1.0 oz Hallertau 45min

spices added @2min:
5.0g fresh orange peel
3.0g cracked coriander
1.0g cracked cinnamon stick
1.0g dried thyme

T-58 Yeast

Mash at 156F

Entered it into a competition, won its flight (Belgian Specialty), 1st place ribbon (39 points), 6th place in the Best of Show face-off. I said its base style was a Belgian Dark Strong Ale. The reason this did not win Best of Show was that it was too light in mouth feel, needed to be a bit thicker/chewier.

I don't want to change the mash temperature. That is the big deal. Already high, and I don't want a higher FG. Looking to modify the proportion of the grains I have.

Thanks for any thoughts! Apparently my wife is dead on, she said it needed to be chewier, and that is what the judges said to. What can I do to make this more like a proper Belgian DSA?

I'm really surprised that with a 1.030 FG that it isn't chewy. One thing that you can do to change the mouthfeel is drop the flaked corn and add flaked rye/oats. They add beta-glucans which tend to make a "creamier" mouthfeel.

Just a thought. Otherwise, I'm not sure what to tell you. The only time I've had trouble with the mouthfeel on a big beer is when the FG is too low, which isn't your problem.

Nice thought with the rye/oats. Trying to clone a beer that I know what grains they use though, so was trying to avoid changing out what i was using.

One thing the judge had said was to keep the proportion of the spices but either tone them down so the base beer comes out more or up the grain bill. Once I told him the OG (surprised him as he didn't expect that ABV level from the flavor) he said no to up the grains any more, which I agree. Might just be that I need to bring down the spices if that is dominating the pallet.

Was just hoping I could keep the spice level as I like that, and just modify the grain balance. May have to just dial back the spices. Will do some tasting to figure it out. Too bad it takes so long to condition, otherwise I would just do a bunch of test batches!

If I remember correctly this is a Pannepot clone...right?

If the spice level is too high, the beer can be perceived thin...IIRC. Maybe ratcheting down the spices (but keep the ratio) is the first thing I would try.

Also, you may need to look at your water chemistry here, now that I think about it. I personally don't know that much about water chemistry, but I know it can impact almost every aspect of your beer (including mouthfeel).

Correct, Pannepot clone.

I think I will just have to scale down the spices. The sharpness of the spices are probably giving that lighter sensation. Will have to brew it and find out (3 months later, curse you Belgians!).

Back