How do i make or get a blow off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbydigital

Reaction score
my air lock is in my secondary what can i do to make a quick blowoff tube system,
on a brew i want to do now......

so that i can brew today, without waiting 5 days for the mail to get my next airLock..

im using a plastic fermeneter ..........
Can i put the tube in the hole, scotch tape the surroundings...
(how deep in? just to hole, or in beer?)

then i make the rest of the tube go into a little bucket of water.

i recently made a brew riquiring a blow off. i just left the rubber gromet in place on the lid and stuck the tubing into that, that way you wont need to tape anything. as far as how deep, contrary to what "she" might tell you, not very. in fact, only enough to pass the gromet, maybe an 1/8" to 1/4". i'm guessing if you put it into the beer you would no longer have a blow off and would end up with a problem.

as far as the other end goes, a little bucket of water is fine, but as was recommended on this site adding a little sanitizer to the water doesn't hurt, so i did.

This probably isn't going to help you since you don't have another airlock, but you can easily use the large part of a three-piece airlock as the basis of a blowoff tube for a bucket. Just put the base through the hole and grommet and attach a piece of hose to the inside stem (the part that the little thimble goes over). Then run that hose down into the vessel full of water, et voila!

bobbydigital said:
im using a plastic fermeneter ..........

a plastic fermenter as in a bucket? or as in a plastic carboy? or something else?

if it's a bucket, the standard airlock grommet in the lid accepts the regular size siphon tubing (5/16" I think). This is what I've always done.

If it's something else... well, if you've got a way to attach an airlock to it then you should be able to stick the tubing in the same place.

I recently had to make an impromptu blow off. I used the siphon tube, which fit perfectly into the grommet on my plastic primary fermenter. The other end I placed into an old whiskey bottle that I had filled with sanitized water. I used the whiskey bottle since the neck of it would keep the tube from moving out of the water or shifting. This little system didn’t require any tape to hold anything together. It worked well.

I really prefer using PVC blow-off tubes now.
1332-Ithasalreadystarted.bmp

See here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=353234#post353234

Back