How do I make my beer clear?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericd

Reaction score
So, I've got my beer fermenting...and it's really cloudy. It's got about a week to go. Is there anything I can add to it make it clear?

It has been a week? You have to give the beer more time. Yeast will not flocculate until they either complete fermentation or the temperature becomes too cold. Let the beer ferment properly then rack it into a secondary carboy and let it naturally clear up by keeping it cool for a couple of weeks. Another option would be to use some gelatin finings or isinglass in the secondary, this will speed up the clarification process. The ultimate solution is to use a filter with a kegging setup, but that can be pricey.

Did you rack into a secondary? What type of beer are you making and what yeast are you using?

Wait! Wait! Wait!

Let the yeast do its job. You don't need additives or filters or anything else. Give it time. If you used quality ingredients it will clear. You'll be looking at it one day thinking, "When will it clear?". Then a week or two later you'll find that its clear.

Trust me. Just wait. If you bottle/drink too early you'll be disappointed with the results, only to find the last few beers in the batch are damned good. You'll be kicking yourself for not waiting. We've all done this starting out...

Brewing teaches patience!!!

:mug:

Schlenkerla said:
Wait! Wait! Wait!
Brewing teaches patience!!!
That's what I want to say, I don't use anything other than time with my beer! You can use finings but it doesn't change the fact that the beer might still be "green."

after about 2 weeks, "crash cool" it at 40F for a day or so. Everything willl drop out and your beer will be super clear.

I leave my brews in secondary for a minimum of 2 weeks, but sometimes 3 or 4 weeks to get them good and clear.

ScubaSteve said:
after about 2 weeks, "crash cool" it at 40F for a day or so. Everything willl drop out and your beer will be super clear.

Yep, crash it!

Wild

Sometimes if you sit and stare at it really closley for long periods of time it will clear 50% faster :D just kidding.

Usualy I leave mine in secondary for about 2 weeks to get it good and clear and that is after spending 5 or 6 days in primary. If your only at the 2 week mark it is still not going to be fully clear - just give it a little more time i'd say.

I like the Biermunchie's gelatin method. Works real sweet for me. I find crash cooling never did anything for me.

ericd said:
It's been two weeks, a week to go.

The yeast will be done when it's done. No matter how much we may talk about a 1-2-3 methid or things you read will tell you when your is done fermenting, there is no set schedule. Yeast is a living creature, and like all living thingd if its not healthy and happy its not going to move quickly. DO NOT rush your yeast. They'll drop out when they're good an well ready (unless it's a nom-flocculent strain, then finings may be in order)

Yeah dude, to reiterate what everyone's said and mainly to let you know what took us all a long time to find out: it takes time! The hardest lesson for me to learn in homebrewing was being patient. Best way to ease into it is by brewing a lot, so you have a stash built up. My beers are always really clear now, but that's from a decent secondary and at least a couple of weeks in the kegarator with the gas on it. Patience grasshopper.

I'm about to do a kit English Bitter; and the instructions say "Don't ferment more than 12 days."

How, if in anyway, does that play into this whole approach?

Its wrong. Let it go until it's done. The directions that come with kits are usually OK at best. Like everyone else has said, the hardest lesson to learn in brewing is patience. I still think I have a lot to learn in that area.

DaleJ said:
I'm about to do a kit English Bitter; and the instructions say "Don't ferment more than 12 days."

How, if in anyway, does that play into this whole approach?

I can not figure out any good reason why any one would write such instructions.
I strongly recommend throwing the instructions away.

Tell us what is in the kit and what equipment you have and you'll get lots of good advice on the correct way to do it.

Thanks!

The kit has:

7lbs malt extract
1.2 oz of English Fuggle hops (pellets)
.5 oz of Golding hops (pellets)
Liquid yeast packet (already started)

Corn sugar

And I'm picking up some gypsum and Irish moss today.

Back