How do I make a "Sparkling Wine"?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Please critique my plan:

Our youngest just celebrated her 20th birthday, and for her 21st birthday she asked if I'd make a wine for her. I know she prefers white to red, and she likes sparkling wine. After reading NTexBrewer's post about Glitter Sparkling Wine, I've decided that's my goal, but I've never tried to make a sparkling wine before. Glitter Sparkling Wine

I plan on starting with white grape juice from frozen concentrate. My buckets are sized for five gallon batches. I was thinking of starting with 14 11.5oz cans, which if I add the appropriate amount of water puts me at 644oz, although I'll probably leave a little headspace.

Does frozen concentrate work well in wine with mixing at a 1:3 ratio with water? Or would I have to mix it closer to a 1:2 ratio to get to 1.100 SG? Or do I need to add sugar no matter what?

I plan on buying champagne bottles and corks, and it looks like I'll need 24 750mL bottles - unless anybody has a line on a dozen magnum bottles for less than $40.

If I understand it right, after primary fermentation, you rack straight into the final bottles? What should my SG be? Do I wait until it's at .990 SG and stable? I'm guessing not, or it wouldn't have any fizz, right?

I do have the Brew Glitter! At least if it isn't fizzy it'll still have the sprinkles.

OP
E

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Also, I will be using Lalvin EC-1118 yeast. It's my go-to yeast and I already have it on-hand.

I just ordered 750mL champagne bottles, plastic corks, wire cages, and a corker from Home Brew Ohio - $88 shipped. I seriously considered the gold foils.

Toto's

Reaction score
Your wine need to be completely finished fermenting first. Then you can calculate your priming pressure you want and add sugar accordingly. I was going to get some champagne bottles as well but at the end i just put it into coke and pepsi plastic bottles. It's less esthetic but works fine 😅

toadie

Reaction score
Sorry bout the late reply. I bottled my first sparkling rhubarb quite recently. I left it in the carboy (well re-racked a few times) until just over 5 months. This has been my strategy for bottling cider. The idea is that you bottle before 6 months and there will hopefully be enough residual yeast to eat the priming sugar. Good luck and hope it works out for you!

Latest posts