how do i know when........

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

force33

Reaction score
other than a hydrometer which i don't have how can i tell when my five and six gallon carboys are done fermenting my cider? how long between bubbles is a pretty good time to possibly first taste my creation? any help at all will be appreciated

Get a hydrometer. Fall Bright Wine Makers Shoppe in Dundee, NY (fallbright.com) seems to be local to you, not sure if there is a closer place.

you can't tell from bubbles. it will keep releasing gas for a while even after it's finished fermenting. taste any time but it might not be worth bothering tasting for a while. cider is a game of patience. anyways get a hydrometer. they are cheap

I've been using the '1 bubble every 15 second' method before I rack into my secondary. If you use a hydrometer, what do you look for? Yesterday I started a bactch and got a OG of 1.049 at what SG should I rack and/or bottle?

Tom

That depends on your goals, doesn't it?

I'm all for the "taste it every few days til you like it" strategy if you're not really trying to win a brewing contest. When you start tasting depends on what you're making.

That depends on your goals, doesn't it?

I'm all for the "taste it every few days til you like it" strategy if you're not really trying to win a brewing contest. When you start tasting depends on what you're making.

It is very hard, to stop fermentation, I'd say you want to ferment dry and backsweeten if you want sweet cider. make sure you add sorbate and sulphite before backsweetening, or you'll just be adding to the alcohol content and not to the sweetness.

Back