How do I know when it's done fermenting in bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slive

Reaction score
So, once the primary stops bubbling, I put it in bottles, correct?

How do I know when it's done in the bottles? The recipe calls for 2-3 weeks, but when can I be sure it's a good time to start drinking?

Also, where should I store the bottles during the time it's finishing up fermenting? Should I chuck 'em in the fridge, or keep them in the same place I keep my big buckets?

Without using a hydrometer, you are leaving yourself wide open for bottle bombs. If you are not going to measure, then I would personally wait 2 weeks before bottling, then waiting atleast another 2 weeks to drink. It will still be green, but there should be some carb by then. Also, leave them around ferm temp.

The hydrometer would definately help. As long as everything worked out, I'd sample a bottle at one week and two weeks just to see how the flavor develops. If you are concerned about bottle bombs, you might want to chill your beer to refrigerator temperature before opening.

Heres a good trick I used prior to kegging :)

When bottling, fill one clear soda/water bottle and screw the cap back on. You can judge the carbonation level by squeezing the bottle. After three weeks it should start to feel pretty tight. It also gives you a look at how things are settling out.

mrkristofo said:
Who is it that's selling all these brewing kits without hydrometers? That's what I'd like to know.

The kit probably came with a hydrometer, he's just not using it.

My beginner kit included a hydrometer but I didn't use it until my 5th or 6th brew. No bottle bombs, either.

brloomis said:
The kit probably came with a hydrometer, he's just not using it.
...yeah, that's right. :(

Although the recipe gave a couple of values, I didn't know when they applied or when I should test it or anything like that. It gave me a time range, though, which is what I was just planning to fall back on.

So, how's a hydrometer work? When do I use it? I'll try that for my second brew. I'll wait an extra week though as you suggested. Thanks for the replies; I guess I still have more studying to do regarding the whole process. Nice to have people to ask when I screw up!

Get a wine thief or one of these guys: http://morebeer.com/view_product/18661/

sanitize well and take a sample out of your bucket and put it in this which should have been provided with the kit:
http://morebeer.com/view_product/18656/

put your hydrometer in and take a reading. the water line should be read at the lines that say:

if it was at the 50 mark, your reading would be 1.050

drink it, don't pour it back in the carboy.

As for using a primary...i would leave it in for 3 weeks at least...more for big beers.

it should also be in the bottles for three weeks before it's opened...optimum is six weeks IMO...at room temperature

taste one each week...once you know they are good and ready put them in the fridge and leave them there for a couple days before you drink them all.

nothing to it my man. :mug:

now i need another drink... :drunk:

So, how valid is this?

"A hydrometer reads accurately at 60 Fahrenheit. Temperatures above and below 60F require that you add or subtract from your reading."

:confused:

So, how valid is this?

"A hydrometer reads accurately at 60 Fahrenheit. Temperatures above and below 60F require that you add or subtract from your reading."

Yes, there is a temperature correction for hydrometers. Check out this site for an explanation on hydrometers and a table for the temperature correction. http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixA.html I like howtobrew.com in general, lots of good information.

Back