how do i kill my hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eriktlupus

Reaction score
serious question. I made the mistake of planting a wild hop into my hop run and now its pretty much taken over the whole bed. I need to kill it(unfortunately it'll also mean wiping out my cascade and chinnook too) so I can start a new bed.

will roundup type herbicides kill the rootstock of these plants? or will I have to go whole hog and dig em all out

I think round up in a slightly more concentrated form according to the label directions will kill woody type vines. Round up works best when the plant is actively growing, so it may be too late this fall, and may take several applications.

There is also a product called Brush-b-gone that is for vines and woody brush. I would anticipate a war of attrition :)

You'll have an easier time of it if you physically pull out as much of the roots as possible first. You won't get it all, but then you'll be able to hit the spring growth with roundup and you won't spend a fortune or drown the local area with herbicide.

I would dig as much out as possible now. In the spring, cut as much of the area up as possible as well. Any new growth, dose it with a higher concentration of RoundUp (if you buy it concentrated, its cheaper and you can mix to your desired strength). I would plan on fighting it for most of the summer. If you think you have it under control half way thruogh or so, maybe through a tarp over to ensure you are starving out any remaining pest.

I would start your next set of hops in buckets or planters and wait to replant them for a year or so, that way your soil has time to bounce back from the excessive dumping of toxic chemicals. (Yeah, I know RoundUp is inert once it hits soil, still doesnt change my recommendation).

Like others have said, if you can locate the center of the original crown, digging should begin there. The rhizome growth will radiate outward from that point like spokes on a bicycle wheel. You don't have to worry about the roots as they won't regenerate, but follow the rhizomes as far away as they've grown from the crown (upper few inches of the soil) and you should have minimal work to to next year. A product that a grower out west suggested to use was Crossbow. I would think that the triclopyr in the mix is what would do the trick. Good luck!

13Redvine2.jpg

13Redvine.jpg

I would think that an application of Crossbow would do the trick too. It's what I use for wild black berries.

Roundup should kill hops easily. Target it in the spring when identifiable and not mixed in with the others. Buy the roundup gel and paint it on the young foliage

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

definitely going to be a spring project since the ground here is frozen solid already.....this is what happens when you mix good hops withs wild ones

your probably in for the same fight I'm having with honeysuckle been fighting it for 2 years now and the battle continues.

Back