How do I harvest the yeast from this

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyrmwood

Reaction score
... lovely bottle of Chimay Blue I just bought
chimayblue.jpg

I understand the concept, but have no idea what to do - other than try pouring off most of the beer (and ENJOYING IT!) and dumping the remainder into a growler with some DME.

Make a starter and pitch the dregs. For the initial culture you want a small starter like 100ml of 1.030 wort and then step it up from there. Make sure to be mindful of sanitization.

That was an amazing beer... I poured 100ml of my starter solution (1.030) into the bottle, swished it around a bit and poured it back out into a growler... the game is afoot!

If you don't have a stir plate, don't be surprised if it takes a few days to get going. I did this with DFH Squall, and it took about three or four days and two steps to get a decent starter going.

More pics!!! It didn't happen if there are no pictures...preferably several at appropriate intervals :ban:

More pics!!! It didn't happen if there are no pictures...preferably several at appropriate intervals :ban:
:) Well, there wasn't much to it (man... that was truly an awesome beer!). Boiled some water (2 cups), added 3 tbsp dme, checked gravity, added 1 more tbsp, was ~1.30 so poured 100ml into measuring cup and poured rest into sanitized pint jar and put in fridge to add later.

100_9972.jpg

Poured the 100ml into the beer bottle and swished around, then poured the solution into the growler through a sanitized funnel. Added cotton filter and set in my brew stall... (boiler room)

100_9971.jpg

Didn't realize you were in the Springs...I Love Trinity!!! It is where I first tasted the hoppy goodness that is Pliny the Elder :rockin::ban::tank:

Didn't realize you were in the Springs...I Love Trinity!!! It is where I first tasted the hoppy goodness that is Pliny the Elder :rockin::ban::tank:

Missed this for some reason... yeah, they brew awesome beer! Every house beer they brew has has amazing flavor and character. Although, I have a hard time not simply going for the Flo :D

Funny thing... I'm from the hill country, Travis Peak, in fact.

I ended up double pitching this, since I also added about 4.5 lbs of honey to the extract kit. I pitched a 1/2 gallon starter of Chimay Grand Reserve (stepped up from the tiny 100ml I started with) along with a a second 1/2 gallon starter of the Wyeast Trappist High Gravity propagator. Check my brew logs for progress.

Back