How do I go about doing this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustangfreak

Reaction score
Ok, every non BMC beer I drink, I keep the bottle caps, and save them. I have this small table/stand that I plan on gluing the caps onto. But how do I go about making them flat again? Just take a pair of plyers to them?

I only ask because I'm sure I'm not the only one who has wanted to do this.:D

Why make them flat? Put a glob of silicone under them and stick them on.

I would get a piece of glass cut to size to put on top of them, or they are probably eventually going to scratch pretty badly

Cool Idea! :)

PeteOz77 said:
Why make them flat? Put a glob of silicone under them and stick them on.

I would get a piece of glass cut to size to put on top of them, or they are probably eventually going to scratch pretty badly

Cool Idea! :)
+1 on the silicone/glass, I think it would be pretty hard to flatten them and still have them look nice.

Another idea is to grout them in place like a mosaic tile table, but I'm nut sure if you could do that without scratching them while you laid the grout.

You could go to a hobby shop and get some of that 2 parts goop that they use in model railroad building that looks like water, but goes hard as a rock. Then just mix it up and pour it over the caps until it levels out and goes a couple of mm over the top of them.. Then the caps would be embedded in and protected by the stuff.

You would of course have fit some sort of temporary or even permanent lip around the table that would hold the goop in until it sets...

Anyone know what it is? Some sort of super clear Epoxy I think.

I am starting to like this idea myself.... ;)

PeteOz77 said:
You could go to a hobby shop and get some of that 2 parts goop that they use in model railroad building that looks like water, but goes hard as a rock. Then just mix it up and pour it over the caps until it levels out and goes a couple of mm over the top of them.. Then the caps would be embedded in and protected by the stuff.

You would of course have fit some sort of temporary or even permanent lip around the table that would hold the goop in until it sets...

I am starting to like this idea myself.... ;)

Good idea!:rockin:

And I didnt mean flatten them compltly. I meant taking the bend out of them from the bottle opener. Know what I mean?

In that case, get a piece of metal bar stock that fits in the cap and knock the bends out. Just put something thin and soft under the cap before tapping on it. I can usually push the crease out with my thumb, but you'll regret trying that on hundreds of caps.

I would try wooden dowel that's just the right size and maybe use your bottle capper? One tap with a hammer type tap would probably do the trick, or a quick press on the lever type.

Or if it's the crease in the top, use the dowel and lay the cap top side down an a towel on the bench top and give it a little smack from the bottom side.

If you work your way around the cap as you remove it, you can get them off without the crease. I learned to do this in Antiqua, TWI. That way, you can "re-cap" to keep the flies out.

PeteOz77 said:
You can buy bar-top epoxy, which is essentially the same stuff they lay down on bars or tables in restaurants. It's absolutely PERFECT for embedding bottle caps in a table. I know people have bought it at home depot, though I haven't been able to find it myself.

Back