How do I get the stuff from the bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briandickens

Reaction score
Tomorrow is my first brew day with my modified 15 gallon kettle. I am doing a 5 gallon brew (my peanut butter cup porter!). I just installed the Zymico Weld-B-Gone weldless spigot and the bazooka screen. Everything is fine except for there's about a gallon of dead space under the spigot. I guess I drilled too high, but I was afraid the washer wouldn't fit with the slight curve at the bottom of the kettle if I had drilled any lower. It's too late for tomorrow so I will just tilt the kettle tomorrow, but what can I do for the future? Is there pre-fab angled tube I can put into the bulkhead? I'd like to still use the bazooka screen, so if there's a way I can get an angled tube into the bulkhead and still fit the bazooka screen, I'd be really happy. Maybe something I could get at home depot or online?

Here's the pics:
P1000834.JPG

P1000835.JPG

P1000836.JPG

Don't know how to embed the images, so I don't know if that will work...

It's a slight flaw in how bazookas are pre terminated onto a male pipe thread fitting. You can fashion any variety of siphon tubing down to the bottom but you'd have to cut the end off the bazooka, thread it over the siphon tube, and clamp it down with a hose clamp.

Okay. That shouldn't be too hard then. I think it's just a hose clamp I can unscrew. If not I'll cut and install one. Easy enough. Thanks!

Instead of having your siphon tube end at the bottom of the pot with the opening facing down, I'd run it down to the bottom and have the tubing lay parallel with the bottom. You want the opening to feed from inside the bazooka's "tube", not trying to suck through a small portion of mesh. Does that make sense?

Makes plenty of sense. I'll make a "z" shaped tube and screw it into the bulkhead and fasten the bazooka to it at the bottom.

Can I buy tubing pre-threaded like that?

You can either use rigid copper pipe with fittings, one of which would be a male connector which adds 1/2" male threads to the pipe that would thread into the bulkhead. If you use some soft copper, you can use a 1/2" male pipe thread compression fitting. No soldering required there.

Back