How do I get roasty flavor without color?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kanzimonson

Reaction score
I've been thinking a lot about amber and red ales recently and how I'd like to make a beer with some strong pronounced roasty flavors but still maintain a red color.

You'll see in my Recipe tab that I have an Irish Red. I really love this beer, but its roasty character is "medium." It's a mostly caramelly beer with a crisp, dry finish. Nothing chocolatey or burnt, just toasty and mellow. Like the crust on a loaf of bread straight out of the oven, or the bottom side of a biscuit.

The beer, however, is so red that it's allllllmost brown. I really wouldn't want to increase its color the slightest bit. So my question is, if I wanted to make an amber ale that has both caramel flavors, and a strongly toasted finish, what do I do? Should I use a lot of the "toasty" malts like munich, aromatic, victory, special roast? Or should I reduce the crystal amounts and use more dark grains? I don't want to completely lose the crystal flavors, either.

what are you using for base malt?

the difference between say, briess 2-row and marris otter can change the whole brew.

Roasty and toasty aren't the same flavor. If you want toasty, victory/biscuit is your best choice. Roasty flavor come from the darkest malts, not much you can do to get them without the color.

malkore, I actually did use MO.

david, I ultimately agree, but I think there's a spectrum shift from toasty to roasty and I essentially want to up the degree to a higher level. The small quantities of dark grains in an amber or red ale fall into the spectrum, and because they're so light I don't think it's unreasonable to say they're both toasty and roasty. But your saying this definitely has me leaning towards the victory/biscuit/aromatic.

And the more I think about it, I wonder if using a different yeast would be better. I used 1968 London ESB because I love the way it super emphasizes the malt. I assumed this would increase the toast and roast, but I also wonder if the higher FG due to high flocculation leaves just enough sweetness that the harsher grain flavors become more subdued?

You could try steeping roasted grains only and running the resulting liquor through a charcoal filter. It will remove color and it will remove flavor, not sure which it will remove more of.

IMO pale chocolate gives the most with the least color.

I was going to suggest something like this. The lighter the roast level, the more of it you could use. The pale chocolate is around 200L. Briess also makes a roasted barley that's 300L

Why not use debittered black malt like Carafa III? Thats your best option for color with little flavor.

Toast some of your base malt in the oven - that will give you a more robust flavor. Then add Biscuit/Victory malt and as much roasted malt until the color gets as dark as you are willing to tolerate. A third of a pound of pale chocolate malt would probably do the trick.

You can also try some brown malt. Use it in place of some of your base malt. It will darken your beer a little, but it will provide a few roasty notes

Latest posts

Back