How do I get a water report?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are many water utilties that will list their quarterly average numbers on their website. If you are served by a city, check before you pay to have it done.

Both the above are correct. It's been my experience that though the local water authority may have a report, they won't have the info we as brewers need. But it's a good idea to check there first, then send to a lab if needed.

I was looking for a water report for Reno for the longest time until very recently. On our water provider's website there is a report of the toxin levels but not what we would need. So after a couple months of searching I decided to give them a call. It was the most incredible thing ever: no automated machine, no having to say "Water report" and having the computer send me to Billing... it rang twice and went straight to their biochemist (you'd be amazed, too, if you had my track record with calling my ISP.) He said I wanted the secondary standards and promptly sent me an email with the appropriate PDF attached... took 5 minutes and it was free. See if your local water authority has a number for their biochemist or even just their water quality department and ask for a list of their secondary standards.

You're going to want the concentration levels of: calcium, magnesium, sodium, chloride, sulfate and alkalinity.

Once you get your numbers, you can adjust your water to fit whatever style you want using -TH-'s EZ Water Adjustment Spreadsheet. I actually learned how to use it in less than an hour by watching [ame="http://www.youtube.com/user/BobbyFromNJ?blend=2&ob=1#p/u/13/o1n7-RjEJEM"]Bobby_M's Water Chemistry youtube videos.[/ame] Quite informative.

I hope that helps and good luck finding your report. If all else fails, you can always send a sample into wardlabs as alcibiades said

Thanks for this suggestion. Saved me from paying Ward Labs.

I called my water plant and talked to the lab. Got all of results that I needed. The lab guy is a homebrewer too. Sweet.

Thanks for this suggestion. Saved me from paying Ward Labs.

I called my water plant and talked to the lab. Got all of results that I needed. The lab guy is a homebrewer too. Sweet.

Glad to hear everything worked out great (read: free)

Back