How do I convert an extract recipe to a partial mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

snowbum007

Reaction score
I have the extract recipe for Dogfishhead's 60-minute IPA and would like to convert it to a partial mash. How would I go about doing this?

thanks,
Kurt

carl spakler

Banned
Reaction score
You will likely need some sort of brewing software, I use the freebie version on beertools. From there it is a matter of adding 2-4 lbs (depending on your brewing equipment capacity) of base grain and removing the extract so that the OG remains the same.

At least that is essentially what I do. If it isn't the proper way, it has worked for me the last dozen or so batches. :)

Grinder12000

Reaction score
Beersmith is free for 20 days and only costs $20ish.

I've done it many times - if you want to PM me I can do it for you (or post the recipe here).

OP
S

snowbum007

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys, I'm new at this. This will be my first PM and once I get the equipment, I will go to AG. So it will help me with the amount of grain I need while subtracting the appropriate amount of DME? Or do I do that manually and just keep an eye on the OG? Also, if I am using light DME for an IPA, will it be able to help me pick my base grains to keep in that style?
Thanks

Anthony_Lopez

Reaction score
You honestly don't need any software for this... I think software is helpful when designing recipes, but for this simple conversion, I'd suggest learning the conversion.

1 pound Pale 2 row malt = .6 lb Light Dried malt Extract = .75 Light Liquid Malt Extract