How do I convert an extract recipe to a partial mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowbum007

Reaction score
I have the extract recipe for Dogfishhead's 60-minute IPA and would like to convert it to a partial mash. How would I go about doing this?

thanks,
Kurt

You will likely need some sort of brewing software, I use the freebie version on beertools. From there it is a matter of adding 2-4 lbs (depending on your brewing equipment capacity) of base grain and removing the extract so that the OG remains the same.

At least that is essentially what I do. If it isn't the proper way, it has worked for me the last dozen or so batches. :)

Beersmith is free for 20 days and only costs $20ish.

I've done it many times - if you want to PM me I can do it for you (or post the recipe here).

Thanks for the replys, I'm new at this. This will be my first PM and once I get the equipment, I will go to AG. So it will help me with the amount of grain I need while subtracting the appropriate amount of DME? Or do I do that manually and just keep an eye on the OG? Also, if I am using light DME for an IPA, will it be able to help me pick my base grains to keep in that style?
Thanks

You honestly don't need any software for this... I think software is helpful when designing recipes, but for this simple conversion, I'd suggest learning the conversion.

1 pound Pale 2 row malt = .6 lb Light Dried malt Extract = .75 Light Liquid Malt Extract

Latest posts

Back