How do I check the quality of a used co2 tank? ($5 co2 tank offer inside)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pressure tanks have to have a hydrostatic pressure test periodically (every 10-12 years I think?).

Thanks! I googled it too, I'll hopefully be able to look at them and pick up two or three with newer hydro dates this week.

I also found a 5 foot redbull display fridge on CL, too bad its $225! haha

I'm thinking the hydro test is every 5 years, but even if some of the tanks are out of date (stamped on side) a new test is about $15 so that's still a reasonable deal.

hmmm.. maybe just buy one and take it to a place that exchanges instead of fills. I guess it's kinda shady, but they'll test it before they fill it anyway.

Damn those look old, I'd go with the old swap-the-tank place to get a new one and then go else where for refills.

the guy at the gas shop doesn't even look at the tank when I bring it to exchange they could care less. Its part of the cost of doing business they aren't going to red flag you because they have another tank and customer.

Well, they are all gone anyways. I expect to see more old co2 tanks popping up on craigslist for more than $5 though :mad:

CO2 tanks last a long time. There was a thread a few years ago and some people had 50-60 year-old tanks.

I've seen some tanks dating back to 1920. Far and few but they are there. Easiest way to tell is the 4 digit code on top tank neck, typically split by asterix or line (XX*XX or XX|XX) the code means this: first two digits month and the second two digits year. Whatever one is latest is the last time the tank was hydro tested and depending on few items is typically every 5 years minimum. Steel tanks will last longer than aluminum, you can see the diff of them here: co2 tanks. The siphon tube is NOT needed for beer etc as all the siphon tube is is a straw into the bottom to force the liquid up. I think they also provide gas too easier than some of the gas companies.

Back