How do I calculate OG at 132 degrees?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impatient

Reaction score
I just finished mashed my first AG. :ban:

I took a sample after capping up the wort for tommorow. I had six gallons and the OG was 1.056 at 132 degrees. What is my OG?

How efficient is that for 10lbs Vienna with 6 gallons to start the boil?

At 132 degrees, the correction will be inaccurate. Any sample over 100 degrees is notoriously inaccurate. Next time, chill the sample with an ice water bath (a two quart pitcher is great) until it gets under 90 degrees, then use the temperature correction chart.

If you really are at 1.070, that's just not possible with 10 pounds of vienna malt. You must have something else in the mash.

unless you regularly get 99% efficiency :drunk:

Here is what I have done so far.

I used 14 quarts (165.5 degrees) to strike 10lbs of Vienna targeting 158 degrees for 60 minutes. Then I sparged at 170 with 14 quarts ending with 6 gallons.

I put it on the stove to boil. When it was on the stove, I took a sample out and let it cool some (to 132).

I did use a mash tun though.

I have it boiling right now. I decided not to let the wort sit all night till morning for the boil. I will have to take another sample in about an hour when it is done boiling and cool.

IMG_08521.JPG

Sounds good so far! It's not possible to get a 1.070 from 10 pounds of Vienna in 6 gallons, though. I'm blaming the temperature. You can either take another sample now, during the boil, and cool it under 90 degrees and then check it, or wait until the boil is done and check it.

I'd check it now, just in case you're low and want to add some DME.

Sounds good so far! It's not possible to get a 1.070 from 10 pounds of Vienna in 6 gallons, though. I'm blaming the temperature. You can either take another sample now, during the boil, and cool it under 90 degrees and then check it, or wait until the boil is done and check it.

I'd check it now, just in case you're low and want to add some DME.

I am cooling some to check it. Is it normal to have stuff coagulating in the wort like this.

IMG_09041.JPG

Yep. Looks like big globs of cold break from fast cooling. Wait until you chill the whole batch quickly! You're be thrilled to see all those great big goobers. That means clearer beer.

OK, I came up with 1.082 at 84 degrees.

I think I know what is wrong. I am boiling the first 3 gallons out of the tun. After cooling this 3 gallons I will boil the other 3.

The other 3 gallons came in a 1.020.

Back