How cold is to cold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thekeez

Reaction score
Hello I have an older mini fridge I got for free and I think the thermostat is on the fritz. I have it on level 1 and that's the warmest and it's running about 37 degrees. I just kegged my first beer is that to cold for the keg? I had rootbeer kegged and it froze it solid haha. I know beer has alcohol so it's different but I want to be sure. I set the gas to 30psi and shook for like 2 mins and now I'm going to let it sit over night in the fridge with the gas on. This okay? Thanks!

If you like drinking it that cold, 37 is a perfectly fine temperature for beer. That is, of course, assuming that 37F measurement is accurate. Presumably, your root beer froze before you put it on the lowest setting? The alcohol will bump the temp down a smidge, but not as much as you might think. IIRC, standard 5% beer freezes at like 29F or so. There's an equation here that can give you a more specific answer.

Back