How close to the FG is close enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nosnum

Reaction score
I am brewing a brewers best California Pale Ale. The FG is supposed to be between 1.008 - 1.016. My FG is at 1.020. Is that close enough to bottle? I am a noob and didn't know if you had to be directly on the money or not. Ihave nothing against letting it sit for another week!

Thanks

Then let it sit for another week. I'd bet that chances are close to nil that fermentation is complete. When your FG is stable for at least a few days, your good to go. You don't have to check the gravity every day, either, if you don't want to. Check it one day, and then come back and check it again in a few more days. If it's not stable then, check it again in a few more days, and so on . . . .

When you are thinking about what's "close enough," think about it this way: your typical priming sugar addition adds 0.002 to the SG of a five gallon batch. That's all.

TL

Check it in a week, then two weeks. If the gravity is stable, you'll have a much clearer beer to bottle as well.

Back