How close should successive readings be before bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

jkuhl

Reaction score
I have a mead that's at 1.004, 1.002, 1.000 for three successive readings, each one roughly ~week or so apart.

Are those numbers close enough to call the mead stable for bottling? Or should I let it remain in the carboy (or be racked into another carboy, which I think I'm going to do either way) until I get the exact reading twice or more?

I also don't know what the starting gravity was because I was stupid and didn't take a reading and didn't realize I had forgotten until it was way too late. It was probably not as high as 1.100. 2lbs of honey in a gallon of water should be the majority of the fermentables, not a lot of sugar to start out with, so maybe ~1.050ish? The rest is cloves, orange zest and ginger. Anyways, just curious if those numbers are close enough to each other or if I should continue waiting before bottling.

I want to get this into a bottle to free up the carboy and redo the recipe because I screwed up with the cloves (I severely underestimated what cloves can do) and want this mead to sit for a few months (to a year) to mellow in hopes that'll fix it.

DBhomebrew

Reaction score
Final gravity is exactly that. If it's still dropping gravity it's still fermenting. It's at final gravity when you see the same reading, not just close.

rburrelli

Reaction score
My process is same reading three days apart. Done. (In my experience.)

Latest posts