How close is Summit to Centennial?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cracked1

Reaction score
I have I made as a clone to Deschutes Red Chair that uses Cascade and Centennial as per the Deschutes website. I've brewed it once before and really liked it but Red Chair wasn't available at the time for me to compare. I will be brewing it again on New Years Day but I have a problem. My LHBS was out of Centennial and the only one they had in stock of their listed substitutes was Summit. I have not used this hop yet and I don't know how close it is to what I need. Does anyone have any experience with it as a Centennial substitute? I really want to see how close my clone is so I want to find out if this is close enough or if I should check a few more possible sources first.

Thanks!

cascades is a much closer sub for cent than summit. cascades should not be hard to get.

Yeah, summit really isn't close to centennial in my opinion...

I'd use columbus, cascade, and chinook before I'd use summit; especially in this recipe. Late additions of summit will get you lots of tangerine flavor/aroma (something I don't detect Red Chair NW Pale Ale).

I'll have to think on this one for awhile. There are only supposed to be Centennial and Cascade in this beer so if I replace the Centennial with more Cascade then it would be ALL Cascade... If they are that close I would have to wonder why Deschutes would use both in the first place. Is it just a $$ thing? They can use less Centennial for bittering than they would have to use of Cascade?

AZ... I know you were interested in how close this is to Red Chair and I was hoping to be able to report back after this batch was done. So I think I'll look around some more and see if I can stay true to the recipe.

Thanks again!

I'll have to think on this one for awhile. There are only supposed to be Centennial and Cascade in this beer so if I replace the Centennial with more Cascade then it would be ALL Cascade... If they are that close I would have to wonder why Deschutes would use both in the first place. Is it just a $$ thing? They can use less Centennial for bittering than they would have to use of Cascade?

AZ... I know you were interested in how close this is to Red Chair and I was hoping to be able to report back after this batch was done. So I think I'll look around some more and see if I can stay true to the recipe.

Thanks again!

The strange part is that the website lists cascade then centennial. It could be an alphabetic thing, but most breweries list the hops in the order they are used. Again though, I doubt they're getting 60 IBUs from cascade and finishing with centennial.

PM your address. I've some 2009 centennial pellets (vacuum sealed and frozen; 9.1% AA) I would like to see used up. I'll send you 2oz.

I love Red Chair NWPA and can't wait until it's back on the shelves as I too will be looking to perfect a clone.

Back