how can you tell if a beer is done

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TauZero

Reaction score
My irish red started at 1.040 and now is at 1.010 how can i tell if its done? what exactly dose this measurement mean? its been a little over 3 weeks

TauZero said:
My irish red started at 1.040 and now is at 1.010 how can i tell if its done? what exactly dose this measurement mean? its been a little over 3 weeks
wait a couple days and take another reading. If it still reads 1.010 then it's done .

That works out at 3.94% ABV Take another reading in 3-4 days , if there is no change then you should be good to go.
That is how i have always done it.

The measurement is specific gravity, which is the density compared to water, which has a density of 1.000. The wort has sugars, and is more dense than water. As fermentation converts the sugars to alcohol, the beer becomes less dense. When fermentation stops, the density will stop changing. Wait 3 days, check it again. Pretty sure it's done.

Stability in SG readings over several days (3 checks 2 days apart is a commonly suggested plan) is what ensures the beer is done....It's also common after fermentation is done to allow the beer a few additional days to "clean Up"

In addition to what the previous posters have said:

If you are brewing from a kit or use some sort of software (i.e. beersmith) then you should have a pretty good idea of what your final gravity will be. If this is, or is close to 1.010 then you are probably done or at least close to it (taking readings a couple days apart to compare is still a good idea though).

Is this an inflection

ForumRunner_20130923_154441.jpg

Looks like normal yeast activity to me...have you looked at the "Show me you infection thread"? Very informative.

Is that what it looks like after three weeks? Did you taste the hydrometer sample? If those clumps are fuzzy and gray, that'sa bad sign.

Usually (which of course means, not all the time) the kraeusen will drop to the bottom, and the top of the beer will be mostly clear. But it depends on a lot of things - yeast, grainbill, temps, etc.

Thers no fuzz but I was looking at the post your infection earlier that's why I posted this

ForumRunner_20130923_185129.jpg

Those are just yeast rafts & cold break. No worries m8. And it's always a good thing,imo,to give the brew 3-7 days after FG is reached to allow the yeast to clean up by products of fermentation & settle out clear or slightly misty.

Not an infection, all though, lifting the lid to keep looking at it could lead to one. I know it's hard as a beginner, but after you pitch the yeast, just let her sit for at least 2 weeks. I've found 3 weeks actually works best for me.

I ferment for 3 weeks, take one reading as my FG and bottle

unless you have a big beer, and 1.040 is not, then 3 weeks is plenty of time for complete fermentation

and there's nothing wrong with your beer, looks awesome

So its been exactly 4 weeks(pitched on 8/30) and I have had a solid 1.010 for 4 days tho today it seems like it might have dropped a fraction of a millimeter but Im not sure, Its been a huge learning experience for me because Ive pulled at least 3 beers too early which have given an off taste and this is why i am a little paranoid. personally im convinced its done but i just wanted to ask other people what they thought. Also I want to cold crash this beer can temps be too cold? Also alot of what i saw floating on top is now settled should I wait until its all gone and clear on the top?

I know the others said "yeast rafts" before, but it doesn't look good to me. It looks like hard chunks of something.

I also know that others have said they keep their beers in the primary for a month, but I don't, especially in a bucket with headspace like that.

I think you've got an infected beer from the huge headspace, 4 weeks in that bucket, and opening the lid. It doesn't look good at all to me.

If it is infected will i be able to tell when i drink it lol? it smells really good, what are some tell tale signs? i used Iodophor to sanitize and let it air dry before doing anything also it had never been opened before the 22nd.

When I saw your pics, like Yooper, I didn't like the look of it.
I would siphon the batch out, trying not to get the hard chunks into the next bucket. Then I would dip a cup and taste it. If it doesn't taste bad, get it into the bottle/keg. Get it out of that container.

there's nothing floating on the top anymore so i put it in the fridge to cold crash im going to taste it today will it be very noticeable if its infected?

There may be a very noticeable off-taste, or there may not be. If the gravity has been stable, and there are no off flavors, give it between 3 days and a week to cold crash and then bottle it up.

I agree that it did not look very good but if it drops bright, has no discernible off smell and doesn't taste sour it might be fine. A good beer will smell and taste like a good beer even if it's flat and warm out if primary, if anything in your sample tastes or smells off then something is not right.

yeah somthing is kind of weird about it, its a has a fruity/sour smell and taste.

Could just be fruity esters from the yeast. Cooper's ale yeast,an English style yeast,is known for that. Their yeast packet smells of white grapes to me,as if that's where it comes from. Many times over the years,what some describe as a sour smell is just green beer,which is to say,immature at that point.

I need to completely change my process Ive noticed that a lot of my beers have had the same off flavors. I have an artesian well near my town and I want to use the water from it but im not sure the best way to transport it without contaminating it and insted of the plastic bucket i think im going to use a glass carboy I have i know im doing something wrong.

Don't worry about contaminating it, since you are going to boil it. Fill up your fermenter and bring it home. Then do a full boil.

I put some Starsan in my 6 gallon better bottle to sanitize it. Then take 2 more gallon jugs & do the same. I go to Artisan Springs for local spring water @ 25c per gallon. Was 10c per gallon till Obama got that one too. Gee,thanks pres.

A large geadspace shouldn't matter much, neither will a 1 month primary (sorry Yooper, I disagree here). The co2 during fermenation will push out o2 anyway and will eave a co2 layer on top of the fermenting beer.

That said, things like fruitflys can be hell when using a bucket with lid for a fermenter since you have toe remove the lid to get at the beer, thus leaving a big landing pad for those little devils.

If it is infected I suspect:

• Improperly cleaned /sanitized equipment Also clean the lid, **** collects in the seal area!
  • Scratched surface of the fermenter allows bacteria to hide.
  • Insects
  • Airborne bacteria (AC is notorious for spreading **** around, especially pediococcus), particularily in a dusty house.

Back