Help Support Homebrew Talk:

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We are having a little trouble getting the forums started. Tried link exchanges, banner exchanges, beer web ring and search engines. Anyone know of any other way to bring a little traffic to get things started?

Also anything wrong with the forums? Any changes need to be made for people to be more opted to post?

Thanks! Any suggestions and coments help!

OP
OP
TxBrew

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Good suggestion! I made the change.

Any other suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Reaction score
Well folks I found this website through a search engine, so no word needed to ger out here.

BTW I'm Otis The Drunk (name coming from the same otis that inhabited Mayberry)
I live somewhere in the panhandle of Texas.

Glad to meet y'all and would like to get into some discussions later.
I have been brewing beer wine and mead since 1988 and am glad to offer any advice I can come up with at any time.

OP
OP
TxBrew

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Great to have you Otis! Glad to know we are listed on the search engines now!

richanne

Reaction score
I see you've got your "contact us" "links" and "advertise" buttons at the top of the page working now! That's great! Looks like a few more people are posting too.

OP
OP
TxBrew

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks! Yep the registrations are getting better and more posts. Just takes time!

If anyone wants to trade links please PM me as well.

Michael_Currie

Reaction score
I heard using Google advertising works - Might want to check that out. I have told a few friends about it not sure if they signed up or not though

richanne

Reaction score
Michael_Currie said:
I heard using Google advertising works - Might want to check that out. I have told a few friends about it not sure if they signed up or not though

Sure it works; it also costs money. We have been selective in our advertising there. We spend about $25 to $30 a month advertising our business (Bradyshomebrew.com) through Google adwords, and about half of all our traffic comes from Google. Our problem is very low conversion to sales. Most people take a peak and go. Of course, with a homebrew forum, you wouldn't have to worry about sales. You'd just need people to stick around long enough to read a few posts and find the desire to weigh in.

Michael_Currie

Reaction score
richanne said:
Sure it works; it also costs money. We have been selective in our advertising there. We spend about $25 to $30 a month advertising our business (Bradyshomebrew.com) through Google adwords, and about half of all our traffic comes from Google. Our problem is very low conversion to sales. Most people take a peak and go. Of course, with a homebrew forum, you wouldn't have to worry about sales. You'd just need people to stick around long enough to read a few posts and find the desire to weigh in.

How many hits does $25 dollars bring? My wife has a small website she uses to sell homemade rings that needs advertising.

richanne

Reaction score
According to this service we had tracking our ads for a month and google stats, we have been getting about 10-20 hits per day from adwords. However, as I stated earlier, only a small percentage turn into actual sales.

richanne

Reaction score
Not all unique, but that's only counting hits to our home page, not to subpages, so most are unique. Some users come back to the home page more than once during a session.

Janx

Reaction score
alt.homebrewing and the homebrew digest have been THE homebrew community online since well before there was a world wide web. Personally, I like the format of this bb, and have used many other bb's that use this software. I'd like to see a forum like this one take off.

So, has anyone posted to alt.homebrewing?

crum

Reaction score
Janx said:
alt.homebrewing and the homebrew digest have been THE homebrew community online since well before there was a world wide web. Personally, I like the format of this bb, and have used many other bb's that use this software. I'd like to see a forum like this one take off.

So, has anyone posted to alt.homebrewing?

What is alt.homebrewing?

Brewman

Reaction score
Also I would try to contact beer brewing suppliers. Their web sites may put a link back to here and one from here to them.

Brewman

Reaction score
Ohh yeah...... "alt.homebrewing" is a newsgroup, kinda like a forum but it works through programs such as Outlook Express....

Janx

Reaction score
alt.homebrewing is one of zillions of usenet groups. Usenet used to be the only way to set up groups like this other than email lists (I'm showing my age) ;) Go check out groups.google.com and you can search through usenet content.

OP
OP
TxBrew

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I would not like to spam this site on user groups at all. I hate spam more than anything when dealing when computers. Well that and spyware.

I've e-mailed people about exchanging links and accidentally asked the same person twice a few times on and they didn't appreciate it so I am going to stop that. I've submitted it to the search engines so now I am out of ideas. I guess word of mouth is the only thing left.

If you have a website and would like to exchange links please message me.

Latest posts