how can it go so low?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clann

Reaction score
Brewed a beer that I mashed at 160* and the O.G. Was 1.060. Got all the way down to 1.005. Can't find my book to tell you the recipe but it is an English pale ale with at least a pound of crystal 40 or 60,can't remember. BRY-97 yeast. Pitched at almost 80* but by the next morning it was down to 65ish and happily bubbling. Tastes a little hot but not bad, just thin. Any help is appreciated.
-Chris

Wow, I'm impressed that it got down that far. I haven't used BRY-97, so I can't speak for its ability to chew through long chain sugars. I actually made an amber ale recently and was a bit distracted when putting the grains into the hopper. I accidentally dumped in 2 lbs of crystal malt (20% of the grain bill). That wort was then mashed at 160 - again, stupid mistake from not paying enough attention and depending on an inexperienced helper. Attentuation SUCKED on that one using a fresh pack of hydrated 05. I got 50% AA... the beer isn't bad, but it's not what I was going for.

As far as help goes, it sounds like you must have been tasting a gravity sample? I would probably bottle it as-is, because the carbonation will help ensure it tastes less watery. That said, if you are determined to take some sort of action to change the body, maltodextrin will add in some unfermentable sugar to help round out the body without adding sweetness.

Well your mash temp was WAY too high! Plus I'd say your pitch temp was fairly high.
You probably have some fusel alcohols and the thinness is contributed to by a lack of fermentables and other components adding body.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I went high with the mash temp hoping for a les fermentable more body beer. Not what I got. Most of my beers will get to 1.010 with a mash at 155* so oli was hoping the beer would be a bit thicker .

When was the last time you calibrated your thermometer?

Drink it, learn from it, and pay better attention next time and all will be good.
Relax and have a homebrew.

Thermometer is almost bran new and reads true along side of my other one. But I will check them again. Thanks boydster!
Bazowie, this did not happen from lack of attention but thanks for trying to help.

I went high with the mash temp hoping for a les fermentable more body beer. Not what I got. Most of my beers will get to 1.010 with a mash at 155* so oli was hoping the beer would be a bit thicker .

At 160 you've denatured all the enzymes (amylases) that would break down the starches in your grain.
For a maltier beer mash @ 150-2. For a drier beer go with 148-150.
What type of thermometer(s) are you using? How did you calibrate both?

Floating thermometer in the mash checked periodically against my dial face thermometer. Both have always shown the same temperature. Would be unlikely that they are both off exactly the same but not impossible I suppose.

Obviously you didn't denature your enzymes, otherwise there would've been nothing to ferment. I've mashed at 160 several times for low gravity beers.

Could be wild yeast or bacteria that fermented it. They can eat more sugars than beer yeast.

At 160, you probably produced more unfermentables, maybe leaving the yeast hungry, giving other bacteria/yeast a chance to take over.

I mashed a brown ale that high (or more) once and got a FG over 1.020. It was very good but very thick. And low ABV. That was from misreading the thermometer.

Wait to bottle it and make sure your gravity is stable. If you mashed high, your FG should be higher. UNLESS you had sugar or corn or rice or other adjuncts in the recipe.

Something really doesn't add up. 160 and all that Crystal should have left you with lots of unfermentable sugars. Bry-97 is a champ, but I've never gotten it below 1.010 even when mashing at 146. One of your numbers must be off is all I can think of.

I would definitely double check your thermometers. some of the inexpensive dial and float thermometers are not either accurate for the dial thermos or easy to read with precision for the float thermos. Get a decent digital thermometer. I would bet your temperature reading is a bit off.

160 is not where all enzymes are denatured. That is 168/170 range. not to say 160 is good for your enzymes, just that it does not kill conversion.

I believe that there is evidence that mash temp can affect fermentability. Certainly some Sr member of this site have proved as much. However, if you read their results, you are not usually going to get a huge difference as a result. We are not talking about mashing at 158 to get a beer to finish at 1.020 verses 1.005. More likely it makes a few points difference only. If you are really trying to force a higher FG, I think you would want to add more crystal malts with few fermentable sugars to your mash to keep the FG up.

Just me $0.02

Something really doesn't add up. 160 and all that Crystal should have left you with lots of unfermentable sugars. Bry-97 is a champ, but I've never gotten it below 1.010 even when mashing at 146. One of your numbers must be off is all I can think of.

Agreed, seems like one of the numbers is off, that high attenuation at that temp. Maybe the fg reading is off? Either that or you've discover a new super yeast.

I'm going to check it today and if the gravity is the same, going to bottle. It tasted fine, just a little hot

Back