How can I tell if a co2 tank has a syphon tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd assume if the description doesn't specify a siphon tube it doesn't have one.
I have six cylinders and haven't gone wrong yet ;)

Cheers!

If you see a pic.. generally the stencil “syphon tube” on the side of the cylinder.

Cool ty everyone I'm looking to get a 20 pound tank soon as I sell my trek madon e.unless it's wiser to go bigger I'm single so I don't need to hide the tank

Just remember that purchasing a tank with a dip tube does add some complexities. First, you can only use it to fill other tanks. Do NOT put your CO2 regulator on a tank with a dip tube. You'll push CO2 liquid into the regulator and likely ruin it. Secondly, exchanging a CO2 tank with a dip tube for another CO2 tank with a dip tube is not offered at all CO2 exchange locations. In some cases it needs to be refilled instead of exchanged and not all CO2 places offer that service.

A potential better solution is to order a tank without a dip tube then invert the tank if you are using the tank to fill other tanks. Here's a step by step process that works for me:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/filling-co2-tanks-at-home.672069/

~HopSing.

Ty for the input everyone I'm so sad I bought the 5 pound tanks to exchange it they want 30 bucks to exchange a 20 pound tank it cost 34 bucks. Is this normal

Ty for the input everyone I'm so sad I bought the 5 pound tanks to exchange it they want 30 bucks to exchange a 20 pound tank it cost 34 bucks. Is this normal

Unfortunately so. It's the labor to fill the tank, not the Co2, that is expensive. If your rig can fit a 20 pound tank or if your tank is external, then buy a 20 pounder and sell the 5 pounder. If you cannot fit a 20 pound tank, buy a 20 pound tank and refill the 5 pound tank yourself. The ROI will be pretty quick.

~HopSing.

Right now I'm just making soda pop. But I want to make my own beer to. I like simple beer like budwisier can you make this at home? The last home brew I had seemed to have something like pulp in it. I did not like it

Right now I'm just making soda pop. But I want to make my own beer to. I like simple beer like budwisier can you make this at home? The last home brew I had seemed to have something like pulp in it. I did not like it

You can make something like Budweiser at home, but it's a beer that takes some skill, experience, and the proper equipment to make. It's a light beer that won't hide any flaws. It's not something you can make from a kit and it's unlikely a new brewer could make a decent version of it.

I have a similar problem discovering whether our 1987 9kg CO2 cylinder (yes, it's that old and a freebie) has a dip tube or not ! This is what I've tried and failed to do

- I can't interpret the stampings on the cylinder or valve about the prescence of a syphon tube

- Right way up or upside down, when I open the valve to atmosphere the jet of CO2 looks & sounds identical

- There's no reference on the Internet to this forty year old "Distiller's JetFreeze"

Short of filling a SodaStream bottle and weighing it before & after I cannot think of how to determine if I have a dip tube or not.

( I had really thought I'd notice the difference in spray when opening the valve to atmosphere, but neither orientation seems 'wetter' !)
4CD915DB-E601-4A8D-8DE4-817815450A33.jpeg
2289C472-484E-4B6F-AD0C-ADF5DF012195.jpeg
F66E7775-EE42-49DD-847C-2A0C703A18A4.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4317.MOV
    11.2 MB
Back