how can I modify a Brew Kit to brew fruit beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxtrot_01

Reaction score
Hello all, first post here. I recently got a gift from work, I got a Brooklyn Brew Kit: Everyday IPA. This is the first time I have entertained the idea of making beer and I was wondering if there was a way to modify this specific kit to brew a lighter fruit beer. I am in Miami so I have access to several tropical fruits, I was wondering if there was a way to modify this kit and what else should I get to get a lighter fruit beer.

Hey welcome to the forum and the hobby. Yes you can add fruit to any beer you want . That's the great thing about home brewing , you make what you like.

I don't know how familiar you are with brewing procedures but I'm guessing its not a whole lot if any.

A few things when it comes to brewing. Cleaning , sanitizing , temp control and patience are crucial.

What brewing set up do you have ? Do you have a way to control your fermentation temps ? Do you plan on bottling? Ect......

Oxidation reeks havoc on hoppy beers. You need to minimize the o2 as much as possible. Now take into account you want to add fruit. You can pasteurize it . Some just freeze then thaw and add. Pasteurized is safest but I've done it once . I've never had issues the other way.

If you want to add fruit add it at the end of fermentation. Thats if your fermenter is big enough . If you don't have room then your gonna have to secondary . Once you add fruit fermentation will kick up again.

Check gravity before you bottle via hydrometer. If you bottle prematurely you get bottle bombs.

Have fun and keep us posted

Thank you for the prompt response, I honestly have negative experience, I got as a gift a brew kit from Brooklyn Brew Shop Everyday IPA, I'm not big on IPA so I was wondering if with what I have in the box I could modify, add some ingredients and make something that I like , like a fruit beer.
The items in the box are:
Grain, hops and yeast for your first batch
Racking cane
Thermometer
Tubing clamp
Glass fermenting jar
Cleanser
Airlock
Clear vinyl tubing
Screw-cap stopper
Items not included: six quart pot, fine mesh strainer, funnel
Hey welcome to the forum and the hobby. Yes you can add fruit to any beer you want . That's the great thing about home brewing , you make what you like.

I don't know how familiar you are with brewing procedures but I'm guessing its not a whole lot if any.

A few things when it comes to brewing. Cleaning , sanitizing , temp control and patience are crucial.

What brewing set up do you have ? Do you have a way to control your fermentation temps ? Do you plan on bottling? Ect......

Oxidation reeks havoc on hoppy beers. You need to minimize the o2 as much as possible. Now take into account you want to add fruit. You can pasteurize it . Some just freeze then thaw and add. Pasteurized is safest but I've done it once . I've never had issues the other way.

If you want to add fruit add it at the end of fermentation. Thats if your fermenter is big enough . If you don't have room then your gonna have to secondary . Once you add fruit fermentation will kick up again.

Check gravity before you bottle via hydrometer. If you bottle prematurely you get bottle bombs.

Have fun and keep us posted

@Foxtrot_01

1597268225263.gif

So this is 1 gallon all grain kit from what I see . That means you need a pot , bag to mash in . You could lessen the bittering hops a bit or toss them in later . The problem is brewing can be overwhelming your first few times . Extract kits are probably better to start . All grain you have to mash at a certain temp and keep it there for an hour . I tend to think new brewers should start out on extract kits and follow the directions to get familiar with it , then start branching out .

If you really want to adjust this one go for it. On fruit beers its normal to add 1 to 1.25# of fruit per gallon. Ive never made a 1 gallon kit so I'm not sure how much beer would be wasted with say 1 #. I don't think you will have enough space in that , which means getting a bigger fermenter or a 2nd one . Tone down the bittering hops , chill the wort , pitch the yeast . Watch the air lock and after 3 days when the bubbling slows add your fruit ( I imagine the bottle opening is small) re attach the air lock and let it sit for 2 weeks . Check your gravity and if completed go ahead and bottle . Here's a link for priming

https://www.northernbrewer.com/pages/priming-sugar-calculator
Also check out the 1 gallon brew thread.

Awesome! Thank you, now in the event I want to use fruit instead of extract, should the fruit be as ripe as it can be?
So this is 1 gallon all grain kit from what I see . That means you need a pot , bag to mash in . You could lessen the bittering hops a bit or toss them in later . The problem is brewing can be overwhelming your first few times . Extract kits are probably better to start . All grain you have to mash at a certain temp and keep it there for an hour . I tend to think new brewers should start out on extract kits and follow the directions to get familiar with it , then start branching out .

If you really want to adjust this one go for it. On fruit beers its normal to add 1 to 1.25# of fruit per gallon. Ive never made a 1 gallon kit so I'm not sure how much beer would be wasted with say 1 #. I don't think you will have enough space in that , which means getting a bigger fermenter or a 2nd one . Tone down the bittering hops , chill the wort , pitch the yeast . Watch the air lock and after 3 days when the bubbling slows add your fruit ( I imagine the bottle opening is small) re attach the air lock and let it sit for 2 weeks . Check your gravity and if completed go ahead and bottle . Here's a link for priming

https://www.northernbrewer.com/pages/priming-sugar-calculator
Also check out the 1 gallon brew thread.

Do you have an example of a fruit beer you like? It’s fairly common to get fruit flavors from hops and not actually fruit. Fruits can sometimes lead to misleading flavors in beers.

Do you have an example of a fruit beer you like? It’s fairly common to get fruit flavors from hops and not actually fruit. Fruits can sometimes lead to misleading flavors in beers.
sorry for the late reply, I am from South America and currently live in Miami where I can find many tropical fruits from SA. I have tried some beers with Passion Fruit and a fruit called Lulo, I would definitely would like to try these two. They sell the pulp in the local grocery store. The links for both fruits are below. Both of these fruits tend to be a bit sour so I guess I might need to add something that makes it a tad sweeter, I would also like to try pineapple. I think I am trying to make a saison. I am extremely new at this, basically no experience and just want to be able to modify my current Brooklyn Brew Kit: IPA everyday to make a saison. Just need some guidance on what I can use from the current kit, I would assume other than the hardware on the kit, the beer yeast, the sanitizer but I am not sure about the rest( Columbus hops, Cascade hops, all grain mix) and what do I need to get, I already bought a brew bag.

Included in the Everyday IPA Beer Making Kit:

• Everyday IPA 1 Gallon, All-Grain Mix
  • Cascade Hops
  • Columbus Hops
  • Beer Making Yeast
  • Glass Fermentation Jug
  • Thermometer
  • Racking Cane
  • Tubing
  • Tubing Clamp
  • Screw-cap Stopper
  • Airlock