How can i make a higher gravity beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonOi

Reaction score
I have almost finished my first batch of Amber Ale and it's only about 4%. What can I do next time to bring up the alcohol level? I'm going to make an Oatmeal Stout next

Assuming you are brewing extract you can add more LME or DME or some sort of sugar. 1 lb of DME will raise about 40 points I believe. If you post your recipe people can chime in on the best ingredient to add without altering the recipe itself

Remember that if you increase the ABV, and therefore the OG of the beer that you must also increase the hops to balance the beer. Unless you're adept with adjusting recipes, it's probably better to start with the right recipe from the start. For example, if you want a 6% ABV oatmeal stout, start with a recipe for a 6% oatmeal stout. It's really important to balance the bittering hops with the amount of malt used, so that you don't end up with a too-sweet beer.

My next batch is going to be an Oatmeal Stout it's 6lbs Dark LME, 8oz rolled oats, 4oz chocolate malt, 4oz roasted barley, 1oz fuggle, Wyeast Irish Ale 1084. What should I add to this for higher gravity and when? Thanks for any help because I am new to this and very confused even though I have been reading up on the process.

Instead of 6 lbs LME, try 9 lbs...assuming this is a 5 gallon batch. May want to up the hops as well

If I use 9lbs of LME instead of 6 for the 5 gallon batch will I need more yeast, grains, ect?

You could also switch it up a bit more than already suggested...

Try:
7# light DME
.5# oats, flaked
.5# Chocolate Malt
.25# Roasted Barley

I would also use a bittering hop, since the 1oz of fuggles won't be enough to offset the malt. 1oz of Northdown (9.60% AA) would give you a good balance for bittering. If you want to still use the 1oz of fuggles (not a bad idea), add it towards the end of the boil. Such as when 10 minutes from the end. You'll get a little flavor and mild aroma from that addition. Of course, the hop addition would be easier to help on IF you listed the AA% for the hops you have. It can vary from year to year, crop to crop, and with where it was grown (US, which state or from the UK?)...

I would also suggest either getting some software to help with formulating recipes, or at least use the online tools to help get things figured out. With what you were originally thinking, it would have been very malty. If that's your target, then it's good, if not, then better to find out before you brew it than when you pour the first glass.

For the yeast, make a starter using the Mr. Malty site as a guide [http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html]...

The oatmeal stout sounds pretty good.. Let me know how it came out! :)

Back