How can I lower the alcohol content?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadMitten

Reaction score
I have a Hefe that I'm planning on brewing within a few days. The guy that gave me the recipe said it's a good beer but very high in alcohol. What would knock this down to the normal 5% range? As is, I think its near 7.5.

Here is the ingredient list.

7 Pounds Alexander's Pale/Wheat Malt Syrup
3 Pounds Munton & Fison Pale
1 Pound Flaked Wheat
1/2 Ounce Coriander
1 ounce Mt Hood(Boil 60 Min)
3/4 ounce Simcoe (End of Boil - Whirlpool - Cover & Force Cool)
WL300 Liquid Yeast

The OG is 1.075
The FG is 1.020

drop 1lb of each extract, it'll take off about 2%. you'll need to drop a lil off the bittering to keep the same balance tho

I plugged this in to Beersmith and you could make this a 7.5 gallon batch to get an abv of 4.9%. Or, if you want to stay at 5 gallons, you could change the recipe to something like this:

4lbs 12oz Alexander's Pale/Wheat Malt Syrup
2lbs Munton & Fison Pale
11oz Flaked Wheat
1/2 Ounce Coriander
.6oz Mt Hood for 8 IBU or stay with 1oz for 13 IBU
3/4 ounce Simcoe
WL300 Liquid Yeast

Est OG 1.051

You simply want to reduce the fermentables. The less there is for the yeast to eat, the lower the alcohol content will be. I would drop 1-2lb off of the extract, then leave the rest similar. SlimeyBooger is on the right track.

You could also boil off some of the alcohol post ferment and keep the grain bill the same....but thats a PITA. Look up removing alcohol from beer to make it low/no alcohol (near beer).

You could also boil off some of the alcohol post ferment and keep the grain bill the same....but thats a PITA. Look up removing alcohol from beer to make it low/no alcohol (near beer).
It would be so much easier just to reduce the amount of malt extract in the recipe, especially as a newer brewer.

It would be so much easier just to reduce the amount of malt extract in the recipe, especially as a newer brewer.

Which is why I made note its a PITA.....obviously reducing fermentables is the no brainer answer. Just keeping his options open.

Just use a brewing program like beersmith or brewtarget (<<<BT is free) and figure out where you want your OG to be and scale back that way.

Back