How can I filter my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustySteve

Reaction score
Hey!

I Just tasted my first batch and it turned out great, but I find that there is a lot of sediment in the bottom on my bottles. My last batch what I did is cold crash for a few days and added gelatin.

My second batch is currently fermenting and I was wondering if there is a way to filter the beer from my fermenter to my bottling bucket or any other way to reduce the amount of sediment in the beer bottles?

I don't have any kegs.

Any other suggestions ??

Thanks for the help!

Unfortunately with bottle carbing you're always going to have sediment. If you filtered your beer before bottling you would need to add yeast during bottling or there won't be any yeast to eat the sugars and carbonate your beer. This would be pointless because you're filtering yeast then adding it back in and you're going to have the same sediment.

If you let them sit at fridge temps for long enough after carbonating you should have nice clear beer and a compacted sediment. Just pour slow and leave behind a little in the bottle.

I like you was on the quest for crystal clear beer out of the bottle and I have achieved very clear beer by cold crashing and using Gelatin to fine the beer. I use Irish moss at the end of the boil to help clarify during fermentation and cold crash after fermentation. When the beer is very cold I mix in the gelatin/water mixture and let it sit another 24 hours in the fridge before moving to my bottling bucket and priming with sugar. The downside is that you do precipitate a lot of the yeast out of the beer and bottle carbing takes 3+ weeks to do but the end results are worth it to me.

This is a galaxy pale ale I brewed a month ago and finished carbonating over the weekend 2.5 weeks after bottling.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1468860076.891812.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1468860143.789038.jpg

Back