How can I filter my beer when I bottle it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you filter it and you remove much of the yeast, you won't be able to bottle carbonate your beer. You can cold crash though, I think enough yeast will be left in suspension to still help with carbonation.

Hmm... If you don't have a keg, I don't think there's an economical way to filter.

+1 to Hello. Unless you're making a "real ale" uncarbonated.

Duh!! Yeah I'd filter out most of my yeast. I like carb beer so I doubt I want that.

If your looking to improve clarity, Try cold crashing for 5 days before bottling, that is if you have room in the fridge to keep your fermenter in. It made a noticeable difference when I started to do it.

If you are mostly wanting very little sediment (can't get rid of all of it if you want to naturally carbonate) let your beer sit in the fermenter longer. The one I left for 9 weeks had so little yeast sediment that it was hard to see in the bottle. The ones I bottled at the end of a week had a quarter inch of sediment.

9 weeks makes me thirsty. I'd have prolly 50 gals setting around. I see your point though. I've bottled two batches so far that had sediment in it after 2 weeks in primary. Like an 1/8" or less. Now I've got two more batches in a secondary that's been in for 3 weeks come Sunday. The blonde is pretty dang clear. I just have a hard time racking them in the bottling bucket without getting some of the yeast cake in it.

9 weeks makes me thirsty. I'd have prolly 50 gals setting around. I see your point though. I've bottled two batches so far that had sediment in it after 2 weeks in primary. Like an 1/8" or less. Now I've got two more batches in a secondary that's been in for 3 weeks come Sunday. The blonde is pretty dang clear. I just have a hard time racking them in the bottling bucket without getting some of the yeast cake in it.

When you suck up a little of the yeast cake it should settle out pretty quickly in the bottling bucket. I usually only get that yeast in the bottle if I try to get the last bit from the bucket (like every time I bottle, lol).

The stuff I've seen online is for pressure.

mini-jet-62900.jpg

This guy will filter your beer without kegging equipment. I wouldn't call it "inexpensive". Afterward, add yeast back at about 1.5 million cells/ml with the priming sugar. Ahhhh, truly bright bottle conditioned beer. A joy to behold.

mini-jet-62900.jpg

This guy will filter your beer without kegging equipment. I wouldn't call it "inexpensive". Afterward, add yeast back at about 1.5 million cells/ml with the priming sugar. Ahhhh, truly bright bottle conditioned beer. A joy to behold.

Not sure I would buy one, but is there a brand name or model name on that? Just out of curiosity if I want to look into one in the future...

Thanks.

Not sure I would buy one, but is there a brand name or model name on that? Just out of curiosity if I want to look into one in the future...

Thanks.

Yeah, It's called a Mini-jet filter. Here is a description of the thing :

Produce brilliantly clear, professional-quality wine with this compact Buon Vino Mini Jet Filter, the easy way to filter your wine or beer. Perfect for filtering wine in 5- or 10-gallon quantities at one time, the Buon Vino Mini Jet Filter works by drawing the wine to the self-priming pump and into the filtering plates. Specially designed grooves on the plastic filtering plates direct the wine through the filter pads, allowing for efficient filtering.

Blah, Blah. All I know is it gets good reviews and costs about what a most minimal keg system would cost with the tiny tank. About 180$ depending.
They are available everywhere.

That is cool, but at that price point you could be well on the way to kegging, which is awesome.

Back