How big should a hop hill be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrimyHoboSack

Reaction score
I've seen many suggestions of making a small hill to plant hops in for better drainage, but I'm not seeing anything about what size the hill should be. I ended up planting my hops Monday in hills about 6" high and 2' across, but I wasn't really sure how big or wide was best for the hops.

So how high should the hill be from base ground level, and what shape should the hill be, more pointed or more of a plateau kind of. Currently shaped more like #1 in this pic, but guessing that I should add more soil and make it more like #2.

hopHillShape.png

id do #1 personally. the steeper the hill the quicker the run off off id assume.id wait till someone else replies thats experienced in hop growing

I placed a 30 foot row of soil over tilled ground, added amendments and formed a long hill. It was about 6" high and about 3 feet wide and rounded in a natural way. Then I cored the hole for the plant and made a well (bowl) around the plant with the soil in the row at about 16" diameter to hold the water when I irrigate. Then I mounded wood chips around the top about 1" thick. Once the plant is fully rooted in and vigorously climbing, I'll back off some of the wood chips and consider removing the wells.

So I'd pick #2 in your pics.

edit: Drainage is going to depend on the soil texture. If you are in a clay zone and have a lot of rain then the 1st pic may help, but you still have to infiltrate the soil surface with water. So that idea may end up with drought.

I've seen many suggestions of making a small hill to plant hops in for better drainage, but I'm not seeing anything about what size the hill should be. I ended up planting my hops Monday in hills about 6" high and 2' across, but I wasn't really sure how big or wide was best for the hops.

So how high should the hill be from base ground level, and what shape should the hill be, more pointed or more of a plateau kind of. Currently shaped more like #1 in this pic, but guessing that I should add more soil and make it more like #2.

hopHillShape.png

Assuming this is a serious question, and not a joke, then the answer to your question is: the hop hill doesn't care how big it is. Plant your hops in poo, they will still grow. Just plant them, you will not be dissapointed.

C or D cup mounds is the recommended bust for a hill. Just a handful is all you need. Those pictured appear to be about a B.

Back