How big of a mistake is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neumann

Reaction score
Apparently when I topped up after my boil, I didn't add nearly enough water to hit the 5 gallon mark (that would explain why my SG was higher than the kit listed). I didn't notice this until I transferred to secondary. I weighed my options; leave it like it is and risk oxidation with a huge headspace or top up again with tap water and risk contamination and uneven distribution. In the end I decided to top up and added about a gallon of water to the carboy. Everything appears to be evenly mixed but I guess I won't know about contamination until it's time to taste it. What do you guys think? Should I have just left it as is?

I'd have probably left it alone, but don't worry - I've topped off many a batch with tap water and had no problems because of it. I'm just not a fan of watering down beer that's already fermented. It's not really a mistake though, in fact many kit instructions used to advocate topping up in the secondary to reduce headspace. It's unneccesary IMO, but I don't think you ruined anything.

It should be fine,but next time just leave it alone.So you'll have less,but a stronger more flavorful beer.Thats not a bad mistake.

Would the "huge" headspace actually pose an oxidation risk if the secondary is sitting still? I would think small amounts of CO2 would still be coming out of the beer, and CO2 is heavier so it should push the oxygen out of contact with the beer. Although I guess it really comes down to how "huge" the headspace is.

Well I'll chalk this one up to experience, I guess. I hope that in pouring the water into the carboy, I didn't put much oxygen into the brew. I guess what I was thinking of was when winemakers top up with grape juice.

I had a similar circumstance with an Octoberfest. Based on some input from this forum, I topped with boiled water. (to get some of the O2 out). I got the following answers 1) leave it and enjoy stronger beer 2) top it up, give it a try. So I gave it a try. ( It turned out great)

I use tap water for topping up after the boil all the time so I wouldn't worry much about contamination from that.

I would think you run a greater risk of oxidation from putting tap water in than you would from a big head space because your yeast will make you a nice CO2 blanket.

BUT oxidation, as I understand it from this forum, is a long term sort of thing.
Drink your beer when it is ready and oxidation doesn't sound like a likely problem.

Latest posts

Back