How big is your heat exchanger/recirculation piping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DolfoMan

Reaction score
So I'm renovating my whole set up and going to add a heat exchanger to my HLT to regulate my mash temp. Pumping the wort through the heat exchanger and back into the mash tun. I'm sure if you clicked on this topic you already know what I'm talking about, but just in case there it is. My question is how big of copper tubing should I use? I know 3/8th is standard but would bigger tubing be better? Would longer be better? What does the brew give have to offer me?

I experimented with 3/8" copper and 1/2" SS before finalizing mine. I went with the 1/2" SS. The increased flow rate plus the much greater surface area made the 1/2" SS significantly more effective (faster response) despite the lesser efficiency.

Last edited:
I'd think a copper hex would be a pita. You'd need to keep both inside and outside clean and free from verdigris - and the inside is impossible to inspect for that. What would one use to clean a copper hex without slowing eating it up?

fwiw, I run a 50' 1/2" hex made by stainlessbrewing.com. At that length the higher thermal resistance of SS vs Cu is moot: the wort temperature exiting the hex is the same as the bath...

Cheers!

Back