Quantcast

How big is 'big enough' ?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Stevorino

Reaction score
How big of a Hot Liquor Tank, Mashing-Lauter Tun, and Brew Kettle do I need to do 5 gallon batches and 10 gallon batches?

wilserbrewer

BIAB Expert Tailor
Reaction score
Lotta variables here but at a minimum a 60QT cooler and two 15 gallon kettles would work. Not sur about 10 gallons of high grav. stuff!!
MW

OP
Stevorino

Stevorino

Reaction score
wilserbrewer said:
Lotta variables here but at a minimum a 60QT cooler and two 15 gallon kettles would work. Not sur about 10 gallons of high grav. stuff!!
MW
So if I went 15gal/60qt for all of my equipment, that'd be enough to do most beers 10 gal and very high gravity 5 gal batches, right? What if I went 80qt-- then could I do everything for 10 gallon batches?

eriktlupus

Reaction score
it depends on the size(gravity) of beers you'll be doing if'n you stay under 1.070 5G batches you can get away with a round five cooler. now for ten gallons batches or higher grav fives you want a 10 gal round or 54qt(13.5G) square or rect cooler.
bare min for boiling is 50% bigger than the final batch size eg 5G needs 7.5G boil pot 10G needs 15G pot.
strike /sparge or hlt needs to be about the same as the boil pot

FSR402

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Stevorino said:
So if I went 15gal/60qt for all of my equipment, that'd be enough to do most beers 10 gal and very high gravity 5 gal batches, right? What if I went 80qt-- then could I do everything for 10 gallon batches?
My HLT is 7 gallons, the MLT is 20 gallons and the kettle is 15 gallons.
I brew 12 gallon batches of 1.070 or less. Anything over that and I drop to 5 gallons because of the boil size.
If I had a 20 gallon kettle then I could do what ever I wanted in a 12 gallon brew.