How badly did I screw this up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snarf7

Reaction score
This was only my 5th time brewing so the different steps are not yet solidified in my brain. Add to that I was trying to do this while taking care of a 5 month old screaming baby and I messed up the steps.

I was making a hoppy IPA partial mash and I'd be reading the forums here and the 150-155 temperature got stuck in my head. So what I wound up doing was heating to 152...adding my extract, my bag of grains and then 'boiling' it all at that temp for an hour, adding in my cascade hops at the correct times. But it was never above 155 the entire time and the grains remained in for the full hour. I then chilled to 70, added the yeast and put it away to ferment.

Will this be drinkable? What will the outcome be for how I did this compared to the 'correct' way?

thanks guys

It should be drinkable (although a bit sweet), but because it never reached a boil and grain is loaded with lactobacillus, it might turn sour fairly quickly. If it tastes good, drink fast.

You got a problem basically you never got your wort to sanitary temps and you basically whirl pooled your hops however this does not mean you will end up with undrinkable beer in the end your going to have to wait to find that part out

I think the hop utilization part could be fine. Depends what OP was going for e.g. this won't be a high IBU beer. But many people shoot for big flavor/low bitterness, and add most of their hops in the whirlpool phase. Skipping the boil will be the interesting part though. If it turns out drinkable I agree with above posts, drink it fast.

Update on this. After 2 weeks in primary it came out very cloudy (almost like a wheat beer), overly sweet and kind of watery. I don't think it's worth bottling so I'm just going to toss it but at least now I know what happens when you're preoccupied and not following the checklist properly ;)

Update on this. After 2 weeks in primary it came out very cloudy (almost like a wheat beer), overly sweet and kind of watery. I don't think it's worth bottling so I'm just going to toss it but at least now I know what happens when you're preoccupied and not following the checklist properly ;)

Don't give it up until you try a couple things. The overly sweet flavor is because the sweetness isn't balanced against the bitterness of the isomerized hop oils that your failure to boil avoided so just add some bitterness to your beer. Put an ounce of Nugget, Magnum, or some other hop with 13% or more alpha acid in a pot of water (quart?? of water) and bring it to a boil and keep it boiling for 30 minutes, adding water as the level in the pot gets low. Cool and carefully add it to the bottling bucket along with the priming sugar, then rack your beer to it.

By bottling the beer with the priming sugar you will get the beer carbonated. That carbonation adds apparent body to the beer and adds some acidity to it too. I think you will be surprised by what you get. I doubt it will be award winning but still beer and better than the "no beer" you get by dumping it.

Back