How bad did I oxidize?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Virginia_Ranger

Reaction score
I wanted to get this lager super bright and it had a lot of coconut in it so I decided to run it through this filter
IMG_1696.JPG

First, I ran it through backwards saw a lot of bubbles and realized there was an arrow and said “oh sh*t” about half way through the transfer. Then I started to remember I had read somewhere that these filters create more surface area thus more oxygen. I had bought this thing a long time ago and got excited to use it since I had items that needed to be filtered but now I’m worried I oxidized the crap out of it. Is this true?

That’s also what I was wondering if in a closed, purged transfer would it matter or is this really just a like taking from an auto siphon concern?

Sometimes the seals on these things are directional...meaning the pressure drop across the seal creates a "self sealing" effect, so it may have drawn air between the filter element and canister threads, but it'd be hard to say without looking at the design... very likely could just be co2 as others said...

Most designs of these just use gaskets and orings which are somewhat hard to engineer directionality to them...so it's likely just that the directionality on the filter is because the filter element has a fine side and a coarse side and you don't want to clog the fine side by passing the liquid through that first...

Sometimes the seals on these things are directional...meaning the pressure drop across the seal creates a "self sealing" effect, so it may have drawn air between the filter element and canister threads, but it'd be hard to say without looking at the design... very likely could just be co2 as others said...

Most designs of these just use gaskets and orings which are somewhat hard to engineer directionality to them...so it's likely just that the directionality on the filter is because the filter element has a fine side and a coarse side and you don't want to clog the fine side by passing the liquid through that first...

Good to know about the seal, I noticed half way through there was the arrow. This one did have the o-ring as well.

I use one of these all the time. Did you purge it with CO2 before your transfer? If you did, you probably have nothing to worry about.
I sometimes see bubbles when I filter my IPA's but those are just CO2 coming out of solution. Never had a problem with oxidation when I use this filter.

Could try adding half a crushed campden tablet to get keg if you have one (dissolve in a cup of the beer then add back to keg). This may prevent oxidation.

Back