How are you all filtering your hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeppman

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a Kal clone system that I really enjoy, with one exception, and that is the filtering of the hops out of the wort when I'm draining my boil kettle. I have a hop stopper, and it works great until it starts to become exposed when the wort level drops. Occasionally it works well, but for the most part, I'm draining the wort at a trickle for the last 3gal of the of the draining/cooling process, and I usually end up leaving at least a gallon in the kettle.

I've thought about whirlpooling, but not sure if that will work because of the heating element. I've also looked at false bottoms and such, but not sure if that will work either.

Summary: I've got a 20gal blichmann kettle, the morebeer counterflow chiller and a march pump. I'd like to replace the hopstopper with another method that will allow me to cool faster and not leave 1+ gallons in the kettle. I primarily use pellet hops.

So what do you all do? Thanks!

I use an 8x15 SS mesh basket from Arbor Fabricating. Works great. Whirlpool for other trub.
I also use a SS mesh tube from AF for dry hopping in secondary.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I remember getting a business card from Arbor Fabricating in the box with my order from utahbiodieselsupply but did not know they had there own website, prices are the same near as I can tell. great products and customer service

I wouldn't think the heating element would cause too much issue whirlpooling. The first couple times I whirlpooled I did it with a 50' immersion chiller in the way. A side pickup and a whirlpool should get you a decent part of that 1 gallon back.

Thanks for the replies guys. For those of you using a hop spider, do you feel it has any effect on the hop flavor/aroma on your beer?

I use a hop spider with a grain bag, On my pick up tube i use a stainless sink strainer. I also whirlpool. I am about to add a hopback for aroma purposes, but that will also add a filter to the boiled hops

I whirlpool in my electric kettle, the element is no problem. I also do leave about a gallon in my kettle, but that is by design. I have 8 gallons pre-boil, 7 post boil, 6 into the fermenter, 5 into the keg. I consider the losses a (small) cost of getting crystal clear beer. I did a similar thing when brewing professionally.

Back